Gibson ES-355 price (used)?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Platypus, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Platypus

Platypus not in rivers, but in drops Supporting Member

Just curious because I cannot seem to find one for sale used, what should I expect to pay for something like this:

Gibson ES-355 (reissue) in red w/ bigsby ?

2. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

I would venture to put that in the $1800-$2300 range depending on age and quality. I've been tracking these for a while and waiting for one at the lower end of that range!! Hard to find a reissue with a Bigsby, good luck in that search.

3. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Yeah, depends on the year. All of the ES series guitars jump pretty seriously as they get older. A reissue with a Bigsby is gonna be hard to come by, and the Bigsby alone is gonna jump the price significantly. For example, the new issue ES-335, I know you said ES-355, goes up $500 if you get one with a Bigsby.

4. Platypus

Thanks for the info guys. I really am not picky on the year but the two things I am standing my ground on would be the red color and the bigsby.

Do you know of a resource other than ebay/craigslist and TGP that I might be able to start sniffing around?

5. Alister

Alister Supporting Member

gbase.com, is usually an inventoried source. Just punch in your model/make info.

The bad news is that I just did so for ES-355, and none came up. But if you check the site regularly, they're as apt anywhere to help you locate one.

6. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

7. Alister

Alister Supporting Member

Yeah, there you go, plenty of them. I must've typo'd in my search.

8. Platypus

thanks, only one of those fits my needs unfortunately :)

9. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

I don't wanna get shot for saying it, but have you entertained the idea of a Gretsch? I love my ES-335, don't get me wrong, but I love my two Gretsch guitars just as much. You'd be hard pressed to find one without a Bigsby, and if you buy one loaded with TV Jones pickups you'll get plenty of snarl. If you absolutely need to get into PAF territory you can always get a set of TV Jones Power'Trons and toss 'em in. Just steer clear of the cheap Electromatic series as they're to Gretsch was Epiphone is to Gibson.

Edit - You won't get a varitone, but a Filter'Tron equipped Gretsch has a 3 way tone switch. I know it's not the same, but the price might be right. Just a thought.

10. Platypus

I've entertained the idea because I really dig the snarl of the TV jones / rockabilly type tones you can get out of them.. however I am kind of after that woody/creamy PAF smoothness with a bit of growl on the top. Do you have a suggestion as far as a model to check out? I'd actually love one in green (would love it on the gibby but that's needle-haystack territory) with gold hardware.

How similar are the two guitars?

11. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Hmmm, it's hard to explain tone in words, but I'll try. I own 3 hollow/semi-hollow guitars and they're all a little different. My '81 ES-335 has Shaw PAFs in it, and it gives me a very full, very rock and roll, pure Gibson kinda tone in the bridge. It's very woody and deep in the neck. It's actually surprisingly fat sounding considering the pickups measure in the ~8k range.

Now I've got my '01 Tennesse Rose loaded with TV Jones Classics, and it's also very rock and roll in the bridge, but with a little more nast than the PAFs. I'd say it's somewhere in between the snarl of a P90 and the grunt of a PAF; it's a very good rock sound. The neck is very bluesy and deep too, but weaker than the 335. Through the right amp it could easily do Bluegrass kinda stuff.

The last, and my favorite, is an '08 125th anniversary White Falcon. That guitar is using the stock Gretsch Dynasonics, and man, they're AWESOME! Fully balanced and articulate on all strings with very clear bass notes, shimmering highs, and pronounced mids. They're wound slightly less than a P90 and a lot more than a Strat single coil. The bridge is downright rock and roll through a nice gainy amp like my JCM 800, it's like a punk rock P90 sound with some class. The neck pickup, since it's a maple guitar, sounds like the fattest Strat you've ever heard.

It's virtually impossible to go wrong with a Gretsch 6120 double-cutaway. They also make a double-cut White Falcon, which is one of the coolest looking guitars I've ever seen. Also, like I said earlier, if you need more power out of the Gretsch I've heard the TV Jones Power'Trons are amazing. I believe that's what Brian Setzer has loaded up in his guitars and they seem to make his Bassman come alive quite well.

12. Platypus

Thanks for taking the time and for the info! The 335 tone you described seems up my alley as does the TR description. I am really craving that woody tone. Would the 6120 get me close to the 355 as far as tone? I am going through a really high gain amp with this (boogie mark IIC+) so I'm not so much worried about gain but moreso the woody crunch/snarl for the bridge as well as the jazzy smooth neck tones.

13. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

I don't personally own a 6120 so I can't give you the low-down on one, but they're essentially the Tenny's big brother (the Tenny is model 6119). They have a fatter body with real f-holes. If you have a Sam Ash nearby I'd stop in and play one as they usually stock the good, high end Gretsch guitars, not just the electromatics. They should have a Brian Setzer 6120 "Hot Rod" model which might be just what the doctor ordered for you.

Edit - The Setzer model doesn't have a tone switch I don't believe, I think the pickups just run wide open. I'd still try one, they're a hell of a guitar.

14. Platypus

I've been listening to clips (no substitute for the real thing I know) but I can't help but hear rockabilly esque tones. Are there cheaper more readily available guitars out there that'd give a similar vibe to the 355?

15. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

16. Platypus

Mostly looks to be honest. I like the block inlays that go up to the first fret. I like the parallelogram inlay on the headstock and I like the gold hardware/bigsby that the 355 has.

17. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

You're on the money, the Gretsch will always have more twang. It's just how they are. You can get a block inlay 335, but the inlay stops at the 3rd fret. You'll also get the crown inlay in the headstock, not the diamond. Technically the BB King Lucille is a 355, right? I've seen those go used for the $1500 range. You could always slap a Bigsby on it, but then you get no f-holes. Doesn't it suck having a specific idea in your head?

18. Platypus

yep :(

19. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

20. Platypus