Gibson ES 369??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Blueswede, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Blueswede

Blueswede Gold Supporting Member

I have a really nice 369, but can't find any info on them. Anyone out there have any knowledge of the history of these guitars? I know that not a lot of them were made. Any help is appreciated. Steve

2. Robertito

Robertito Member

This probably isn't much help, but the only one I ever played was at Manny's Music in NYC, Eastertime of 1981. Nice guitar, and unique looking. It was new on the wall.

3. scottlr

scottlr Member

ES369 - double rounded cutaway hollow bound maple body, f-holes, raised bound black pickguard, 3-piece figured maple neck, 22 fret bound ebony fingerboard with pearl block inlay, tune-o-matic metal/ebony bridge/trapeze tailpiece, ebony block tailpiece insert, bound peghead with pearl logo inlay, 3 per side tuners, chrome hardware, 2 exposed humbucker pickups, 2 volume/2 tone controls, 3 position/coil tap switches. Available in cherry, natural, sunburst and walnut finishes. Mfd in 1982 only

From an older Blue book description

4. Robertito

Robertito Member

I wasn't in NYC at all in 1982, and the one I played (I'm pretty sure) had 22 frets.

5. scottlr

scottlr Member

ooops, typo, yes, 22 frets it says.

6. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I played one once, must have been 1981 or 1982. I really loved its sound and playability. It rocked! The only thing I didn't like was the color - the one I played had a tobacco sunburst finish, but to me it looked way too green, not in a good way.

This must have been one of Bolen's last big ideas before he got the axe.

7. scottlr

scottlr Member

I personally don't care for the big control panel on plastic on these. There was also an SG that had this, and I didn't like it either. But I can't say I ever played one that I recall. Might be a great player, and perhaps a real sleeper.

8. Blueswede

Blueswede Gold Supporting Member

Many thanks for all of the great info! Mine is the black finish, and looks like it has never been played. I'll keep it for my kids; maybe it'll end up being a bit of a collector's piece.

9. DrJamie

DrJamie Silver Supporting Member

I bought my ES 369 new in 1982, as a school graduation present. Still have it! It is black, with creme guard, and black/creme zebra "Dirty Finger" pickups. Gibson actually re-introduced these pickups several years ago. This guitar is labeled "second" on the back of the headstock. Not sure why. Kalamazoo instruments were pretty high quality 'till the end, even if the woods got bad in the 70's. Construction seemed good. This guitar does it all! The coil tapped neck sound is glassy and fat, and the bridge rocks. I actually disabled the tap on the bridge, so I could toggle between the tapped neck, and the full tilt bridge, without an extra move to switch the tap toggle. I could have added a second toggle, but I like less, not more stuff to mix myself up with. The snake headstock pre-dates PRS, but sure looks similar! I love the TP6 bridge tuners. They are very practical for on the fly small tuning adjustments, with my right hand. Guitar Player magazine actually had a 369 in cherry-burst on the cover in the mid-nineties, for they're funk players issue. I'm probably the only one who noticed, because it was a close up of the body, and neck. You saw the trapazoidal fret markers, and the creme plastic parts. Cool! I actually played a cherry-burst at Mannys back then too. I'll try to post pics. Vintage Guitar Mag also did an article on this model several years back. They're so rare, I doubt they will become too valuable, but I love mine. I'll shut up now!

10. Wolfgang von B.

Wolfgang von B. Member

Apparently Gruhn says these 369s were made of "leftover parts". Looking at the headstock I can't say he's wrong, because this type of headstock (incl. the black/purple color combination) was originally introduced on the (not very successful) Mk series acoustic guitars.

Gibson did stuff like this in the past (maybe even today?); another example would be the elusive solidbody electric KZ-II.

11. RJLII

RJLII Member