Gibson ES Les Paul

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by klatuu, Nov 10, 2015.

1. klatuu

klatuu Member

Spent a little time with a new 2014 that's on clearance for less than $2k and liked it for its size compared to a 335. I have a 335 and love it's sound, but it's unwieldy to me.
    The good: size of course, and the familiarity of the LP shape. Pickups sound really good, they're the unpotted alnico II and III. Playability is really good, nice action. Fit and finish looks good and has a really nice top on it.
    The bad: not quite up to my historics in the neck profile department. It's supposed to be a 59 profile but it's more slim; similar to my Shanks' profile, especially in the shoulders, but a little smaller. Binding is that silly flesh colored stuff that comes out of Memphis, and doesn't really match the rest of the plastics, that look more historic spec. The neck finish is sticky.

Overall it's a stunner in appearance with the historic burst top and the dark back.

Can't make up my mind to pull the trigger on it, and was hoping if anyone else has one, or spent some time with one, they could enlighten me some with their opinions.

2. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Supporting Member

Where did you see them for under $2K

3. Jerome4732

Jerome4732 Member

Nice guitars - I just got one of the limited edition White ones. I paid $2350.00
    My local store had a couple of 2014 models for $1999.99.

Great guitar for the money!

4. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

Not that long ago I also picked up a 2014 for $1999. Above the 12th fret things were a bit messy, but after a run through the PLEK it's fantastic.

The ES-LP has been getting more play-time than all my other guitars combined. I think the Memphis team did a great job of capturing the proverbial best of both worlds. Plastic colors aside, I think it looks pretty snazzy. It takes getting used to holding a guitar that looks like an LP and sounds like an LP but hangs like a feather - but in a good way! I love the neck profile - probably my favorite of any Gibson I've owned or played in the past few years, but that comes down to personal preference. And after a good polish I don't find the neck to be that sticky - it's on par with if not better than a PRS mahogany neck.

I'd never seen nor heard about these guitars until I saw Alex Lifeson play a pair of them live on the R40 tour. When he switched from his solid LPs to the ES for "Losing It" and "Tom Sawyer" I thought his tone actually improved. Afterwards I did some online research and then stumbled onto a pair that my local GC had on clearance. Even with crusty strings and a lousy setup, the tone plugged into a cooking PRRI was too good for me not to take it home.

5. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

Played one at GC not long ago.
    Really cool LP. I dug it.

6. FennRx

FennRx Member

The ones I've played great and looked better. The tone was lacking for me. I think the 339 is the better LP sized semi hollow.

7. KSL

KSL Member

I would say avoid and look for a Gibson florentine instead. It is night and day in feel, construction and quality.

8. megawzrd

megawzrd Supporting Member

I liked the one I tried quite a bit. The neck felt so good, like other '59s I love. The lighter burst color is gorgeous.

If I wasn't such a strat guy it might be the one Les Paul I could get along with. In fact I was inspired to build a semi-hollow strat partscaster due to the Gibson Les Paul ES. Almost have all the parts.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  9. megawzrd

megawzrd Supporting Member

10. JPIndustrie

JPIndustrie Supporting Member

I picked one up and was a little turned off by the pseudo 335/339 top on the guitar, by sheer physics its another feel and weight balance all together. Looks like a Les Paul but doesn't feel nor really sound like one, but it made a pleasant sound. I'd rather have a 339.

11. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

Are they at all neck heavy with the light body?

12. klatuu

klatuu Member

No it feels balanced. It is funny to pick up an LP that weighs about 6 lbs.