Gibson ES225

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jdstrat, May 9, 2015.

1. Jdstrat

Jdstrat Supporting Member

Watching some videos of the ES225s that Gibson started making last year. I really like the look of these.

In several videos, the area of the body where the pickup selector switch is mounted seems to have a pronounced dip. What do you suppose is causing that? It doesn't look like it belongs there. I haven't seen a similar feature on an ES before.

I hope this embeds properly:

2. BigPapiFan

BigPapiFan Member

3. Jdstrat

I'd like to believe that it's lighting, PapiFan (go Sox!). I have a '59 ES125, and I've read that one of the differences in quality between the 125s and 225s was that the 225s had a block under the neck, which helped stabilize the neck and cut down on feedback. The 225s are generally thought of as better quality, I believe. I've never seen a picture or diagram of the block.

Here's another one where it looks like there's a pucker extending upward from the corner of the fretboard. It's not hard to imagine the outline of a block under the neck at about the :28 mark in this video:

Could be my eyes are deceiving me, as you suggest. It's happened before...

4. DanR

DanR Member

Ah, a great excuse for me to post these videos.

5. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Had a '57 225 for years. I cant comment on the reissue but there should be no pucker at the switch. It wouldn't surprise me though with Gibson's hit or miss quality. My '57 had not much at all inside the body or near the neck join. ... so not sure about the 125/225 comment. But the 225 did try to feedback a lot... so I was pretty familiar with being inside the body, tried various schemes to reduce feedback.
    at certain small venues with "all the planets aligned", that light guitar could really get "in the zone" though. The original 225 was only made '57-59 I believe. The weird tailpiece was always a problem for many people too. It's surprising Gibson would put that on there on the RI.

6. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

It's a reflection of the light source.

7. Jdstrat

Nice! Thanks for posting those.

8. Jdstrat

Did yours have the long tailpiece, or the regular trapeze one with the floating bridge? They made some of the 225s that way.

I'm having a hard time seeing the big pucker as reflections of the lights...

9. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

It is arched there, as part of the design of the top--maybe that's what you're talking about? The reflection of the light plays on the arch as the angle changes.

10. Jdstrat

Here are some screen grabs of what I'm looking at. The first two are from the NAMM 2014 video.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It looks to me like there's some bracing or blocking at the base of the neck that is pulling the arch down unnaturally. I'm not on a witch hunt here. I'm actually interested in getting one sometime.

The next picture is from a video of Phil X playing a real 1956 ES225. The reflections on the arch in this one are as you would expect to see them.

[​IMG]

Here's the video:

11. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Mine was modded to get rid of the long tailpiece... so it had the floating bridge.

12. rockinrobby

rockinrobby Senior member Professional musician ... Gold Supporting Member

I had an original 57 ES 225 guitar played and the intonation was best with the floating bridge and a 330 trapeze tail.. The long trapeze was not a great design .. Perhaps thats why they phased it out and went to the ES330? Never the less its a great looking guitar!

13. flume

flume Gold Supporting Member

If any 225 enthusiasts here have the original long trapeze tailpiece and convert to a separate bridge and short tail, drop me a note. I'll take the orignal off your hands for a pleasant price.:BluesBros

14. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Yeah... intonation was the issue with the original. Mine went with the guitar when sold.

It looks like the RI has a bound fretboard. The original didn't.. or at least mine didn't....

15. rockinrobby

The original ES225 had a bound Fret board.. :cool:

16. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

My memory is failing I guess! :jo

17. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

I've wondered that myself. Some of the original '59s (late '59s?) appear to have been built that way. My '59 is like that and it's perfectly sturdy and it is obvious that is was built that way upon close inspection. My 2000 ES-135 was the same.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Jdstrat

That's a stunning binding on that 135!

So you're saying that both your late '59 and your 135 had an area where the arch looked like it was being puckered in by a brace?

19. rockinrobby

The Facts >>

The ES-225 was originally introduced in 1955 as the ES-225T, a thinline hollowbody guitar featuring a Florentine cutaway, the Les Paul combined bridge and tailpiece (also used on the Les Paul from 1952–1953 and on the ES-295), a laminated pickguard, and a single P-90 pickup mounted in an unusual position mid-way between the bridge and the end of the fingerboard. From 1956 the ES-225TD, a twin pickup model with conventional pickup positioning, was also available. Both models had a tobacco sunburst finish, with more expensive natural finish models (ES225TN and ES-225TDN) also available from 1956. The specifications remained the same during the period the guitars were manufactured, with the exception that in 1959 a few guitars were made with separate trapeze-style tailpieces and floating Tune-o-matic bridges.

When the guitar was initially marketed it was the first thinline hollowbody guitar Gibson had produced, preceding the Byrdland and ES-350T models. In 1959 the ES-225 was phased out in favour of the ES-330 and ES-125T models.

All told, 5,220 of the single pickup ES-225 and 2,754 of the twin pickup model were produced.

20. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

Yes. I believe that Gibson changed something in their manufacturing method towards the end of ES-225 construction. The top appears to be glued down to the neck mounting block.