Gibson es330 VOS neck heavy?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 6stringjazz, Feb 7, 2015.

1. 6stringjazz

6stringjazz Supporting Member

I had the es330L which has a longer neck than the 330 VOS and it was neck heavy. Just wondering if the shorter neck on the VOS remedies this issue?

2. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

IMO, the "L" (which originally occurred in the very late '60s as a design change, but was never designated "L" {or anything else for that matter}) completely changed the sound & feel of the classic ES-330. The feel changed, the tone changed, the balance changed.

They also became mechanically-problematic, as the short tenon & lack of a centerblock made these things tend to "fold up".

When Gibson initially announced the re-introduction of the ES330 a few years back, I was thrilled....until I saw that they had brought back (what they're now calling) the "L".

Go play a "real" ES330. You'll see. A "traditionally-constructed" ES330 is a pleasure to play.

The "L"....original or re-issue...is, IMO, a much lesser piece.

And, remember, while it's a slightly "shorter neck", it's still a 24-3/4" scale.......the fretboard is simply inset farther into the body.

3. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Mark, is the Heritage H530 a closer interpretation of the older ES330?

4. 6stringjazz

I also had the Heritage 530, and I can say that it is NOT a closer interpretation of the older 330. It is pretty much exactly like the 330L.

Mark, do you think the "correct" 330 with the shorter neck is still neck heavy? In other words, when standing with the guitar on a strap, does it tend to take a neck dive if you take your hands off the neck?

5. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I wonder if Heritage would custom build one for you? I know Jim Soloway has had two custom builds to his specs from them and was very happy.

Just a thought...

6. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

my 330 ('64, not "L") isn't neck heavy.

Then, again, I'm perfectly happy with a Firebird, so maybe you want a 2nd opinion!! :p

7. 6stringjazz

LOL... I had two original Firebirds and I thought they were one of the most well balanced guitars I have played.

8. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Yes, the 330 neck meets the body at the same fret as a Les Paul.

9. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

Confused, as the "L" stands for "Long Tenon". They changed it specifically to counter the problem you are describing.

My 330L is awesome; borders on being neck-heavy, but isn't. Have thought about putting a Bigsby on it, which would negate the issue entirely. Unfortunately I may have to sell it, but we'll see...

10. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

ok....maybe the new "L" units don't fold up, but they still don't sound / feel / balance like a classic ES330.

11. RnB

RnB Member

I believe the 'L' stands for Long-Neck, since it joined at the 19th fret, unlike the orig 330 design that's joined (meets) the body at the 16th fret. I doubt the L model would have a longer tenon than the other...?

fwiw: I have a '63 330 that's not neck heavy at all. Guitar weighs under 6 lbs.

12. rockabilly69

rockabilly69 Supporting Member

I own a ES330 VOS and it balances perfectly. It may be the best new Gibson I've played! Gibson got it right with this model.

13. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Yes they certainly did.

14. Zuhzuhzombie!!

Zuhzuhzombie!! Member

Balance maybe but the tenon is just as long as the old one, so sound wise it should be close, outside of pup placement.

15. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

My VOS 330 is not neck heavy.

16. jamester

That's not how I understand it; the term "long neck" refers to the longer tenon:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-es-330l-electric-guitar

http://www.electric-guitar-review.com/2008/09/25/gibson-producing-custom-shop-es-330-long-neck/

17. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

^^^ None of that says or even implies that the L stands for long tenon, just that the model has one. The second link even calls the model the 330 Long Neck--though that isn't official either. Maybe you have more to go on, but those examples don't clear it up.

18. jamester

Well I'm not trying to argue about it, as I said this is my understanding.

The links I provided clearly say "long neck tenon", and obviously the 330L's neck is different from the originals or the newer VOS models, at least in some ways. FWIW I've never seen the term "long neck tenon" used in any ad copy for the 330 VOS, whereas it seemed a selling point for the 330L... :dunno

19. RnB

RnB Member

Dunno...? I don't see how the tenon could be any longer than the orig. The neck block would appear to have more length/mass to it than the L model. The reasoning behind the long neck was to alleviate the downward torque on the top, supposedly given to short necks, since they are said to have 'top sinking' issues. Of which, I've never seen. On the orig, the pickups & bridge are set further down on the body. Wouldn't that certainly give an indication to a thicker neck block, providing a stronger union for it's tenon than the Long-neck's tenon would...being that it's block is shorter?

330's are completely hollow models, what difference would it make how long the tenon is if there's nothing to tie the tenon into other than the neck block. Unlike a 335 that has a center block that's coupled to the neck block

Without a visual of the L's neck block, I guess we won't really know...? 2me '330 w/ long tenon' = sales hype.
    '66 ES-330 repair

In the pix, you can see the difference in p-up locations.

ES-330
    [​IMG]

ES330L
    [​IMG]

20. b_goatman

b_goatman Supporting Member

I've had a 330L VOS for about 3 years...it's not neck-heavy and it plays and sounds great.