Gibson Es333 - Overall quality opinions?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jimfog, Aug 9, 2006.

1. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Hey,
    Looks like I can get one of these at a good price, in excellent condition......been interested in a semi-hollow for awhile.......

Questions?

Overall build quality?

Neck and fret size?

Decent electronics?

Any advice, positive or negative?

Thanks!

- Jim

2. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

i remember them being alright. i could never really dig the back plate on them though...i know its for easier access and all, but im a traditionalist, and on a 335 style guitar that seems weird to me...that and the satin finish...it didnt do it for me...never owned one, just played a bunch...at least the didnt feel to bad in terms of playability...probably a good guitar for the $$ is you can get one used, and i would imagine a cood candidate for mods and upgrades.

3. Jan Folkson

Jan Folkson Member

I just picked one up used for $700 in great shape with a hsc. I'm really happy with it. Build quality seems very good (especially for the price), the neck is on the thin side, pickups are pretty hot and I actually like the satin finish.

4. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

The pickups are pretty horrid but change them and you've got a nice sounding guitar and it'll look good on the front side atleast.

Or get a used 335...

5. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Thanks, guys.....

Bought it today.....on the WAY to a show, and ended up gigging it all night.

So far....great.

Nice neck (not too small), with jumbo frets........setup perfectly (actually a little low for me)...and it just sang.

Curious about the pickups.......Gibson specs them as UNcovered, but these have chrome covers....and the seller swear they're stock. Hmmmm......sounded good though, and not super hot. I have a set of Lollar Imperials on the way, should I want to change.....

All in all, even as a tele guy, I'm impressed.

Now, where's my Meguire's #7 polishing compound?!?!?

:)

- Jim

6. Mutley

Mutley Supporting Member

Played a friend's with Lollars and upgraded pots and caps and it was killer sounding.

7. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

I've seen a few with chrome covers that were stock. A buddy of mine put Crossroads in his and it sounds killer. I dig the backplate, it makes everything that much easier if you want to change pups or pots. Check out some Antiquities, they will sound amazing in that guitar.

8. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

I've seen some fairly recent photos of BB King using a sunburst ES-333 onstage.

/rick

9. Doctor Shred

Doctor Shred Active Member

Gibson = mass production quality at higher than necessary prices

They make some nice guitars but quality-wise I think they are hit-or-miss. Have to play and judge each instrument individually.

Glad to hear it sounds like you found a good one.

10. Riscchip

Riscchip Supporting Member

The one I had was pretty nice. I agree, pickups are rotten, but otherwise a fine guitar.