Gibson ES335 with best tone?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by cloudnine, Feb 1, 2008.

1. cloudnine

cloudnine Member

I know, I know, 335's in general vary a great deal from piece to piece, tone is subjective, blah blah blah. My theory is it's because there are so many pieces of wood going into it, there are more variables. Every one of those trees has to have a happy life to have a happy guitar at the end of the day. That aside, which 335 model from Gibson do you think would be the best bet for tone per $$$? Requirements: Gibson brand, ES-335, humbuckers, a tunomatic or a bigsby. I like Heritage and Tokai, but I get a discount on Gibsons so . . .

2. karmadave

karmadave Member

My '59 Historic ES-335 has killer tone, but then it's also got a set of Tom Holmes Humbuckers. Hard to go wrong with a 335 in general. Just play them until you find the one that feels, plays, and sounds 'right'!

-KD

3. cloudnine

cloudnine Member

Is that the 59 Historic Dot?

4. Seegs

Seegs Member

80's 335s seem to be a good value...I picked one up for a song and a dance and swapped out the hardware...pups and electonics and still came in way under budget for what a new or vintage one goes for...

sounds amazing...

Chow,
    Seegs

5. gitman

gitman Member

well, when it's gotta be a real Gibson then an 80's or 90's dot neck reissue would be your best bet, lots of those around. i had to decide recently and decided against the real McCoy and bought a vntage Ibanez semi (AS-50 from '81) instead : really cheap, GREAT build quality and with a set of WCR Darkbursts this axe delivers the goods and then some ! it has tad less "wood" in it's tone, leans a bit more towards LesPaul territory but it just works like a charm. i was looking for a replacement for my '63 ES-345 and i'm really happy with the Ibanez. all that's left to upgrade is the tuners, Sperzels are on the way.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

6. humbuster

humbuster Senior Member

Historic 63 335 (Block). Best sounding factory stock guitar I have ever heard.

7. gadzooka

gadzooka Member

I recently played a clean, stock '82 DOT reissue that was superb, available for $2500. If I had the disposable cash, I'd consider getting that to go along with my '67...they do have a different feel and sound.

8. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I have a Historic 355 that I adore. It's a stop tail model, no varitone, mono, so it's essentially identical to a pimped out 335 but with an ebony board. I sense the ebony adds a certain punchiness to the tone that I love. But in general, all 335s produce those fantastic, 335-only, sounds.