Gibson ES339

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mototpsychel, Feb 25, 2009.

1. mototpsychel

mototpsychel Member

I'm close to buying a Gibson ES339 from GC for $1,599.00. I love the guitar's looks, feel, tone. etc.

MY question: Is this a fair price for new ? What do these usually go for ?

Also, anyone that has one I'd welcome comments positive or negative.

Thanks

2. cryptozoo

cryptozoo Member

Good price for new, but I'd try to snag one used in this economy. I had one ('59 neck) and liked it, they're cool guitars. If I hadn't found a killer 335, I'd still have it.

3. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

4. pitner

pitner Member

I think my Wife paid around $1800 for mine but got some kind of discount maybe $150 I'm not sure. The guitar is very cool and leans hard to the ES335 side of the tone and looks equation. Build quality on mine was good and I like the guitar. That said my new Gretsch Duo Jet 6128TCG is kicking the Gibson's butt for a cost of $1950 cash deal. But I will keep both and play them both there is no doubt. If I had to make a choice between the 2 I would go Duo Jet but it is single coil so it doesn't have that humbucker thump like the 339. It depends on what you like in terms of tone. The Gibson really is a sweet guitar and I always have a smile on my face when I play it.

5. mototpsychel

mototpsychel Member

It was one of those situations where I started to play the guitar and right away I felt that connection. I don't get that too often. So I don't know if I want to search out a used one which I would most likely get online and not be able to play until I got it home. I know this one "fits". Just wondering if this was priced OK.

Also interested in how their serial numbers are decoded..

6. mototpsychel

mototpsychel Member

Interesting about the Gretsch, I had one in the past in my Eddie Cochran/Rock-a-billy phase and really enjoyed it.

7. Taylor 339

Taylor 339 Member

I paid $ 1,799.00 on Monday at GC. I'd say that's a good deal. How did you get that price?

8. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

$1599 is damn competitive for a new one. Make sure you get the COA and case! I paid $1350 for mine through an industry bro deal, but I would have paid more -- it's that good!

Here's my clip of it through an overdriven Blackheart Killer Ant:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7362592

[​IMG]

9. Taylor 339

Taylor 339 Member

Is that gold hardware or just the reflection? The knobs look gold also.

10. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

Bad lighting! It's all silver (or nickel or whatever).

11. mototpsychel

mototpsychel Member

Two reasons, I've bought alot of gear from them over the past couple years, and the manager and I always got along very well, we usually end up talking politics, football, our kids, concerts we've been too, etc...

12. mototpsychel

mototpsychel Member

Great clip - I like your style.

13. BlueTele

BlueTele Member

Between the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers
    GC has a coupon, if you bring in a trade then you can 15% off the purchase of one item, which would bring in the es-339 at about that price.

14. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

Get on their mailing list. They send a 10% off coupon just about every month.

15. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I played one at GC recently with a 60's neck & sunburst finish but did not buy it. The guitar felt fine and was perfect frets, finish and dressing but it felt very stiff to me with the factory strings and setup and would need breaking in or would play alot better with my preferred string set and a better setup and still like my 1990 ES335 better

16. Sunstone Recordings

Sunstone Recordings Member

oh good lord, I fell in love with this guitar yesterday. I'm a strat guy, and I've never wanted another guitar so badly. gaaahhhh. now I remember why I stopped coming here!

17. Taylor 339

Taylor 339 Member

Loving mine more every day.

18. richpeax

richpeax Member

I used the 15% coupon and brought in an Antares AVP 1. I haven't used it in years. Got a 100 for it and the 15%. It was like $1530 after all said and done. It's a cool guitar, I'm at the point where my wife won't even notice I got a new one.
    Les Paul size, classic 57's stock. This thing is real resonant without being plugged in. It doesn't sound like the ES-335 and it doesn't sound like a Les Paul. (with 57's).

19. HeyMrTeleMan

HeyMrTeleMan Colonel of Truth Gold Supporting Member

Yes, the 339 has it's own tone, for sure. I love it. I HAD to sell mine last week due to another GAS emergency*:roll(film at 11), but I will get another, it was that good. The 59' neck is superb! Had I had enough cash, I'd have kept it.

And as I've always said "Money talks. Mine just says 'Goodbye'..."

*I'm at the point where I love all my guitars, so when I deal away one for another, it's agony saying goodbye. I'm such a slut...

20. Bluesbuff

Bluesbuff Member

I paid $1325 as a blem on music123 last summer(carmell burst, 59 neck). After recutting the nut, deburring the saddles and a set up it's become my go to guitar most of the time. Very versatile jazz, blues and rock. Not as woody as a 335 not as much crunch as a LP just a great middle tone of its own.