Gibson ES347 semi hollow, anyone have or had one?

Edzio

Had one but traded it for another guitar. I have an Ibanez semi that I favor more. There was nothing wrong with the guitar but it had the 60s slim taper neck which I found hard to get used to and it was pretty heavy, I'd guess around 10lbs. The tone, however, was fantastic. It had 57 classics IIRC and a coil tap which was a nice feature. It was an all around nice guitar but it sat more than it was played, so it moved on.

Jeff Gring

I had one. a bit heavier than a 335,also the neck was a bit larger but still comfy.
I think the fretboard was ebony.
Overall a bit more like a 355 than a 335.(of course all guitars have their own particulars)
I thought the tone was beefier than a 335, especially in the low mids which was better at giving me the early Clapton tones I love.
I sold it to get something lighter. Wish I hadn't. JG

robertkoa

I had one way back in the early to mid eighties.

I have a very good memory but can't remember where I bought it or where I sold it - very strange.

Excellent guitar- they did have an Ebony Fingerboard, and came with a coil cut switch so the pickups went into single coil mode for some fat Twang- did get stringier but not quite Strat, but I loved the single coil tones.

I think the guitar was heavier than most 335s , probably not quite as acoustically resonant and open sounding, also the stock pickups were different( "dirty Fingers ", higher output ) , not PAFs , but guitar had exc. sustain, and very good tuning stability.

Should be cheaper than a 335 used right ?

Last edited:

Dave Wakely

Underrated guitars, and very nearly owned one a couple of times. They do tend to be pretty heavy. Always loved the sound Dave Stryker gets with his.

GlueMan

I have an '81. It was my first good guitar. The coil tap makes it versitile. I'll agree that it has some heft to it.

billyguitar

I've got a burst. I don't know what year it is but the coil tap switch is on the lower horn instead of by the other knobs etc.. I don't remember it being any heavier than my Lucille. The neck is good size and seems almost as big as the Lucille. One of the things I really like are the tuners that have a little flip out handle. Thay make restringing just a little easier.

scottlr

I've got a burst. I don't know what year it is but the coil tap switch is on the lower horn instead of by the other knobs etc.. I don't remember it being any heavier than my Lucille. The neck is good size and seems almost as big as the Lucille. One of the things I really like are the tuners that have a little flip out handle. Thay make restringing just a little easier.
YES! I have a 1981. As for the tailpiece, since I won't use the fine-tuners, I just cranked them tight and leave them alone. I absolutely love the flip-out tuners! It is heavier than you'd expect, but it plays and sounds damn nice.

kak1154

I've got an '81 as well. Billyguitar, they moved the switch from the lower horn to the control area after a few years. I think they also switched pickups somewhere in there, too. The early ones have Dirty Fingers.

Not much else to say, but it is quite heavy. The Dirty Fingers pups get pretty hot and nasty. It's an interesting model to me, mostly because of the coil tap. Oh, the brass nut, too.

telecat

Here is mine. Its a 79 that I got in 1991. I has the brass nut, Sustain Sisters, Dirty Fingers pups, Coil tap on the lower horn, adjustable TP-6 tail piece (in the case after I swapped it out for a regular stop TP). I loved this guitar for a long time and played it live for many years. It finally needed a refret so I stuck it in the closet and played other guitars instead. Last year I drug out again and decided to do the refret. I'd grown tired of the Dirty Fingers so I decided to do some non permanent changes while it was in the shop. I had it refretted with 6105's, put in a bone nut and some gold covered Dimarzio 36 annies. When I got it back I was floored. For me this guitar is darn near perfect now. I still have all the parts so other than the refret, I can return it to original condition. I'd like to someday play a later model with out the Dirty Fingers and Sustain Sisters to see what the difference is...

billyguitar

Back in the late 80s very early 90s I was using mine in a covers band doing stuff like AC/DC and The Cars. I had a local luthier adapt a Washburn whammy bar to it. He made a brass plate that goes between the bridge studs and the tailpiece studs so it mounted on that end with no new holes in the body. They did have to put some small holes in the headstock for the string clamp. Those pickups and the whammy sounded great for that stuff with the Marshall 1987X 1/2 stack I was using it with. I suspect now I would have to change pickups and remove the whammy to use it. I think I paid $750 or $850 for it at the time. I put a lot of wear and tear on it so it's a player not a collector. If only these guitars had a 25-1/2" scale length! I think they'd be perfect for me.

Trending Topics