Gibson Explorer

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by forum_crawler, Oct 14, 2008.

1. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

Hi everyone,
    I am interested in getting a gibson explorer, and I would like to remove the pickguard. I find them so ugly to look at!

Also I am interested in getting something other than the stock 496R/500T pickups on the guitar for something like Seymour Duncan blackouts or something like that.

I have an Epiphone Les Paul with SD Alnico II pro pickups and I am very happy with them, so I would like something like those pickups, but hotter, better suited for metal.

I would love suggestions, stories, advice on how to accomplish that. Thank you very much.

2. dc_jcm800

dc_jcm800 Member

The Gibson Explorers have a route under the pickguard, it is a channel for wiring.
    You may be able to find a solid body explorer style with no pickguard. I think ESP and Ibanez made one as well I think the Hamers came without one (though they may be pricey).
    The only Explorers I have ever seen with no pickguard were custom builds, a few 80's models and the Explorer Pro.

3. phantasm

phantasm Member

Some of the Hamer's don't have routes. I had the Rick Neilson explorer- no routes under the guard. I hated it with the guard ( not a fan of rock star signatures on an instrument)- looked naked and weird without the guard.

Honestly- i'd suggest a used Epi explorer- put some blackouts in it. You won't be spending a whole lot and that's always a plus.

4. whitehall

whitehall Member

Yep your gonna need an 80's if you want a full size body with no route.. The good , they had those nice dirty fingers pups. The bad, they didn't come in any great looking colors. I love Explos, and as a lefty that's a pretty tall order. I prefer them with the pickguard, although I had an explorer studio in copper that was nice. Don't overlook the Japan stuff. An explorer is a really simple affair to copy. Orville and the gang all made decent ones in the 80's and 90's. My one personal fav.. I have a 1982 Burny lefty Eric Clapton model . I put pat # pups in it. It's one of the best guitars I own.

5. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

Hey thanks, that is lots of good information!
    How about changing getting a pickguard with different colour? I love the explorer shape, but I just can't get over the white pickguard, I think getting a black pickguard would be a good option.

Does gibson sell just the pickguards but in different colours?

As for other options, the only option to the explorer I can think of considering is the ESP LTD EX-400, and that one comes with EMG's, but I am not sure if the quality of that guitar compares to the real thing. I have never owned an LTD.

6. kherman

kherman Member

You could look for a '07 Explorer Pro.
    Slightly smaller body.
    But, I find it to be quite comfortable.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Besides the heritage cherry like mine, they came in black, natural, and burst.

They also made some in like '03 to '05 I believe.
    Those had block inlays, ebony boards and quilted tops.

7. phantasm

phantasm Member

It's pretty easy to find a new guard or have one made.
    I know how you feel though- white plastic is kind of horrible.

8. GUITARFORCE

GUITARFORCE Member

Your budget also plays a big part in your decision. You can get an USA Explorer or Explorer Pro on ebay or retail from $900 to $1200. I believe all Explorers now have the 496R/500T combination.

If you're looking for a USA Hamer Standard or Dean Z, plan on spending around $2000

You could go for an import Hamer Standard or Dean Z in the neighborhood of $600 which if they're made in Korea, are pretty good guitars.

Here are a couple of my Explorer Pros. Both have been discontinued.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

WOW!!!!!

If only they still offered those:BITCH

They are gorgeous and I am very sorry I can't get one! :cry:

10. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

http://hamerguitars.com/?fa=detail&mid=394&sid=196#

The best Jerry, the best. Pickups are easy to swap. Good news is they suffer on the used market. They're still going to cost more than a Gibson but you get what you pay for in this case. That's just my opinion.

11. clmazza

clmazza Supporting Member

Check out a USA Dean Z or USA Hamer Standard :AOK