1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

gibson faded LP DC sounds..dead?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by minorseventh, Jan 18, 2008.

1. minorseventh

minorseventh Member

damn that ebay. so i scored what i THOUGHT was a sweet tv yellow double cut les paul with p-90s for 575.00.. seller write "like new condition", only used for recording, blah blah blah.
    i get it and its shipped fast and packed well, and im stoked, right?
    anyway.. first the pickups are not screwed in. at all. they are hooked up, and just loosely resting in the cavities. easy fix, but suspicious. then the bridge and tailpiece are raised almost as high as they can be. i lower, and proceed. the neck is slightly bowed a little too much.. so i give the truss rod a couple turns... ok now i got it all ready to go, and by this time im getting annoyed.

plug it in, and wow... this hunk of wood is utterly non resonant. i mean... it sounds like someone attached a fretboard and some pickups to a big chunk of roast beef. notes just fart and die.

what can be done??
    im wondering if a fancy tonepros or leo quan bridge will give it a little life?? new nut? new tuners? some better pickups? (i have a pete biltoft p90 in another guitar and i love it)

I really like the feel and the weight, and the look of it, so I would like to rescue it. what can I do for a couple hundred bucks??

2. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

I have the same exact guitar. Luckily, mine was made out of some good wood....

How does it feel when you strum it acoustically?

I put on some grover mini rotomatics and they really improved the tuning stability, and i feel it sustains more too.

A tonepros bridge is never a bad idea.

Some better P90s would be great too.

But like Kenny rogers and Kramer said: its the wood that makes it good. If the hunk of wood ain't happening, nothing is gonna fix that.

3. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

"roast beef" lol good tone meat

4. 1esotericguy

1esotericguy Member

I have the same guitar and mine is awesome. You can feel the whole guitar body vibrate against your stomach when you strum it acoustically. I got a good one, but I did have to re-file the frets.

5. minorseventh

minorseventh Member

Kenny Rogers knows how to cook a mean broasted chicken, so I guess I have no choice but to believe him...
    sigh.

6. minorseventh

minorseventh Member

actually the frets on mine are quite sweet... slightly rolled ends and all.

nice consistency Gibson!

7. Doodad

Doodad Member

I had to do a bit of work on mine out of the box too so don't be too down. The action was like a violin and the frets would cut you. I had a tech spend a little time and now it just plays great. Still high action compared to a stat say, but that is why I bought it as a sort of acoustic guitar (and it is loud on its own) and as a nasty little rocker.

Don't give up yet.

8. plexirocker 68

plexirocker 68 Member

The first thing I do to all my guitars is ad the Tone pros locking studs to the stop tailpiece and change out the stop tail for a Gotoh aluminum bridge. They'll all fit, no worries.

I would leave the bridge alone for now and that's about $80 for the whole deal.

If your guitar resonates better your pups will sound much better. Your pups can't do much for a dead guitar.

Fix the resonance problem first. A lot of the new Gibsons lack of resonance sometimes is more in the hardware than the wood!!!!!!!!!!! IMHO

plexi

9. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

I played 3 of those things at GC recently and it was probably the worst sounding/playing guitar I've ever touched in that price range.

10. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Have you restrung it? Is it dead acoustically or just plugged in?

Bryan

11. echale3

echale3 Member

Have you tried checking the bridge mounts?

I have a Flying V that the E and A strings sounded fairly dead compared to the rest. I was restringing it, and found that the bridge ferrule (the part that the adjustment nut screws up and down in) on that one side was a hair loose in the hole, while the other one was very snugly fitted. I pulled the loose ferrule, shimmed it with a wrap of paper so it would fit tightly in the body when reinserted, and that fixed the problem just fine--it sounds balanced now.

Maybe that's what the problem on yours could be too--the bridge just isn't mechanically coupled to the body very well...

12. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

minorseventh,
    That is truely a big let down for sure. Hang in there and do a full setup, and put some new strings on it to be sure. If that doesn't do it then just part with it and find another.
    I have an early Faded LP/DC and mine resonates VERY much, that guitar is so alive it practically plays itself! It sustains great, and is a real tone monster. Mine was absolutely perfect in all aspects as far as finish, frets, and build.
    I'm not telling you this to rub it in, but rather to encourage you to not give up on the notion of getting a great Faded LP/DC. Keep at it till you attain your goal and it will seem worth it in the end. A good one is that good!
    Rock on and best regards!

13. minorseventh

minorseventh Member

thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I am going to unstring her, double check everything for tightness, and set up once again. if that doesnt do it, i will try a new stop tail piece...

unfortunately I am cursed with ethics, so if it comes down to me selling it Ill have to find a gentle way to say "acoustically dead". I'd rather just get it rawk worthy and keep it for years.

14. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

Being "cursed with ethics" is not a bad thing. The world needs more who are men of integrity. I never could sell something that I thought not up to par either without disclosing the details.
    Rock on!

15. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I had a '99 Gibson historic LP like that. Those are considered to be some of the best of the historics with good wood, finish etc..

Thing sounded like wet cardboard. New strings sounded like old flatwounds. The wood soaked up all the highs and crispness. I tried a tonepros bridge, overwrap strings, RS kit everything to brighten it up. These are subtle changes. But finally realized, the guitar is what it is.

I came to believe that it's in the wood and the neck angle the way it's set. Those are two things you can't really change about an LP. Save your $ on trying to polish a turd.

16. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Absolutely, but one man's muddy is another man's warm.

17. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

That's literally the truth. Case in point: my custom Taylor I sold 5 or so years ago. Was so disappointed in it - found it constricted and uninspiring. The guy who bought it is in love with it, finds it tight and balanced.

18. ScottR

ScottR Silver Supporting Member

Put a Bone nut on it and get rid of the Gibson p90's they're both the same for bridge and neck

19. Babaji

Babaji Member

...There is a lot of variation in quality and workmanship in the DC fadeds. It sounds like you got one of the not so good ones. I have two that are killer rock and roll guitars. Very resonant, and loud acoustically. I got to pick the first one from four that were available. The second was used for $400.(like new!). I would recommend selling yours and trying out another one(if possible) in person. These are one of the best new Gibsons I've played. #2 has a set of Joe Barden Mini humbuckers in it now.
    Bill