Gibson faded standard

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by TattooedCarrot, Jul 8, 2005.

1. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

Well, I went and picked one up in faded tobacco. I really like this thing, feels good, looks great, plays and sounds good too. It's very light, I don't have a scale, but I think it's lighter than my R7 that is 8.9 lbs. Right out of the box the action was a little high, so I'll have to set that up to my liking. I have to say I'm on the fence on the BBV's. They are good enough to consider them good pickups, but are a little thinner than I prefer for my tastes; very Page-like (I like a little thicker Duane tone). So I might or might not swap them out.

[​IMG]

2. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

Ive been really wondering about those myself, I'm glad you posted that. That looks really great. wow. Very high on my want list.

H2H

3. retrospex

retrospex Member

Man I'd like to play the hell out of that guitar..:AOK :AOK

4. blong

blong Supporting Member

I almost bought one recently at GC. They have one with a 50's neck and one with a 60's neck. I love the one with the 60's neck. I also love the feel and look of the faded finish. I have a Highway One Tele by Fender and just love the no frills, non-shiny finish.

The feel and tone of the fadeds is pretty damned good! I actually liked it better then every other Les Paul on the wall, except for one other, but I don't think the shiny paint is worth another grand.

People should check one out, they may love it.

I hope you enjoy yours!

Bob

5. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

This one is supposed to be a 50's neck, but it's thinner than my 57RI and even thinner than my PRS SE. But not as thin as my ESP's. So I think it's in the middle. I don't know how they can tell which its supposed to be, there's nothing on the guitar that indicates. It's says 50's on the packing slip and box label.

6. danel59

danel59 Member

I have one with the 60's neck. Amazing guitar for weight and feel the neck and weight is what sold me on it and it is a great looking top as well. Mine is in the Light Burst finish. The Burstbucker Pros were good but I couldn't leave well enough alone and now I have WCR Goodwoods in there and wow what a difference more of everything, more wood, more definition just more dynamic.

7. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Nice catch , Carrot! Best flame I've seen on one of those.
    Greg

8. cswolfe

cswolfe Guest

+1. So I hope you won't mind doing it for us. :)

9. LeifK

LeifK Supporting Member

I saw a couple hanging up at GC. They really caught my eye. I really dig the faded finish...and they didn't seem to bad in price.

10. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member