Gibson Faded V, is it safe?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Ohzoso, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Ohzoso

Ohzoso Member

Always have wanted a V and now i can get my hands on a faded.

I`m wondering why the faded is 355,- cheaper then the Heritage Cherry V which i like also. Same wood, same pups... it looks to me there`s only a difference in finish.

V connoisseurs pls enlighten me.

2. mbargav

mbargav Member

I had one and the neck was terrible. The combo of thin neck, shallow profile, and the finish they use on the faded series made it one of the most uncomfortable necks I've ever played. Nice sounding guitar though; if you can get past the neck, go for it.

3. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

I got one for 350 nos and it's a great guitar. I was going to swap pups but liked the sounbds so much the hot pups seems to work well. just bought a hard case for it last week. they seem hit or miss: diamonds or rust

4. Ohzoso

Ohzoso Member

Is there any difference in neckprofile with afore mentioned models?
    Preferable profiles are `59 rounded and the one on early Nighthawks.

5. mesa/kramer

mesa/kramer Member

Great guitars.

The only difference is the satin stain type finish vs. the Normal full finish.

The necks on the ones i have played are fairly thick (59 rounded profile)

6. Ohzoso

Ohzoso Member

I don`t care too much on finish. Tone and playabilty are more important to me.
    It looks like we have a green light.

7. mesa/kramer

mesa/kramer Member

I Love all the Gibson Faded series.

Would like to pick up an SG, Les Paul or V at somepoint.

8. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

my neck is thin like a 60's classic LP. I have played all the faddeds and never very impressed. the V seems to be the star of the batch. een thinking I need the loonie mack bigsby and the bracket vibramate makes.

9. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

The neck on the faded is the same as the regular models, the person above who ranted about it being terrible wouldn't like any of them. The only difference is the finish and gig bag, they are great guitars, especially for modding. Any Gibson with an unbound neck is prone to having fret ends that are not smooth, faded or regular its all the same, especially if the fretboard is dehydrated and has shrunk a bit.

Here's a faded that I modded, stripped the finish and rubbed it in tung oil, went through different humbuckers and then some P90's (its routed already for both, just had to buy a new pickguard).

And I especially like the faded white model with the three pickups, but for the finish not the pickup configuration.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

The other difference is that the body wood MAY be a grade below what is used on the '67 RIs, and may also have as many as 4 pieces in the body.

Both are production guitars though -they primarily save money by not spending time finishing. I have a '67 RI with a one piece body and it is a killer Vee. Light as a feather, big honkin' neck and sounds like god (I did replace the stock pickups with Rio Gen TX and BBQ Bucker). I also paid $400 for it last year, with OHSC. That being said, although I've played some crappy Faded Series Vs, I've also played some nice ones. If you can try before you buy, I'd definitely line it up.

11. TattooedCarrot

I don't think that's the case. Heck the faded is all transparent making it harder to hide than on a painted regular model. Same guitar, faded finish and a gig bag is where they save a few hundred.

12. Dashface

Dashface Member

The thing that's been killing me about all modern Vs is the neck shape. It's this very wide, very flat thing that I just cannot handle (pun intended ha ha). Seriously, my kingdom for a fat-necked V!

13. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

That's cool!

14. TattooedCarrot

Yes, they are definitely shredder necks, flat and wide. And that's the case with all of them, faded, non-faded, at least the recent ones. My gothic (I forget the year, 2001 ?), and a couple faded and regular models from throughout the 00's all have the same neck.

15. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

I got that straight from the mouth of a GCS employee.

16. Ohzoso

Ohzoso Member

Love the endresult. Very cool!
    Mine should arrive this afternoon :)

Thx all for ur insights.

17. Lukeling

Lukeling Member

:aok Very cool

18. guitarrhinoceros

guitarrhinoceros Senior Member

FYI -- Tim Reynolds of Dave Matthews Band uses one live. That should say something about them.

19. poolshark

poolshark Supporting Member

I had great luck with mine. I've played some that could use some TLC, but they seem to have the bones of a decent guitar.

20. Cleet Mongaire

Cleet Mongaire Member

Got a couple V's also, one a faded. Good guitar but didn't like the ceramic pups. Ditched those and switched out the pg and dropped in some Lollar p90's. Now its a great guitar!