Gibson failed models.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Yamaha 350, Nov 4, 2017.

1. shane88

shane88 Member

they're made out of really dense plywood & far & away the heaviest SGs I've ever molested

Elantric and Gurn like this.
  2. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Member

What effect does that have on the sound?

3. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

Ouch

:hide

4. shane88

shane88 Member

good question as I don't think I ever got as far as plugging one in since I could barely lift it ;)

iirc the pickups are pretty hot so I imagine it sounds hot + bright with mucho attack

ymmv

5. qblue

qblue Member

The Gibson L6-S was a model in production from 1974 to 1980, with Super Humbuckers that were designed by Bill Lawrence, and still has a cult following. I have one and while the switching with a rotary switch is a drag, the sound is inspiring.

ultradust likes this.
  6. russ6100

russ6100 Member

The MIII !!!

There aren't enough facepalms in existence to express....

We had one of those things hanging on the wall at a store I worked at. I think it hung there for 3 or 4 years.

Besides being hideous to look at, the frets were terrible (pre-Plek).....

7. CactusWren

CactusWren Member

8. Gurn

Gurn Member

Ugly? No way? They are the most erotic guitars I've ever seen.
    A new word comes to mind, guitarotica.

They remind me of Georgia O'Keefe's paintings of flowers. They are really about women - not flowers.

[​IMG]

That guitar is a woman. One look and I was hers.

[​IMG]

Too bad she's kind of a heavy woman. The designers should have lightened her burden.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    Sailindawg and Jayyj like this.
  9. PixMix

PixMix Member

10. shakeshakeshake

shakeshakeshake Member

I think in his rig run down he said that he's smashed it a couple times and glued it back together.

11. griggsterr

griggsterr Supporting Member

It's not basically ridiculous. They did fail when they were released. They were the robot tuner, zoot suit guitars of their day. Little did anyone know in 59 or 62 that sometime later people would want those guitars.

12. griggsterr

I have met and visited with Les, To be honest it's not like he was a sweetheart of a guy. He was in his 80s and all he could talk about was oral sex and when could he get his next drink. He was a creative genius, but as a performance thing she made him shine in ways that probably wouldn't have happened nearly as quickly as him by himself.

stonem likes this.
  13. griggsterr

I am no Gibson lover, but you have obviously not played and enjoyed one. They are not all crap they have made some fine instruments. Import guitars are fine too if that's where your budgets and tastes lay.

14. festusmccorkindale

festusmccorkindale Member

I was being sarcastic, hombre.

15. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

I picked up my M III at Venneman's music in Rockville, Maryland ... in the early 90s

It was one of their clearance sales ... fantastic prices ... maybe even when they were liquidating everything in their final days

They had about 6 or 8 M IIIs there stacked up ... They started out at around $600, but they kept reducing the price as we wondered around the store looking for bargains ... when they lowered them to $250 several of us tire kickers ran over to grab one .. when they realized they had a run on them they upped the price to $350 ... I bought one at that price and kept it for a few years

The M III was a well built shredder, but probably a few years too late to the market ...

IIRC I eventually traded mine for a Gibson J-100 xtra acoustic ... which I still have ... the J-100 is a sweet guitar

:banana

russ6100 likes this.
  16. Chatnoir

Chatnoir Member

I liked some of the zoot suit SGs but to me the big fail were their massive weight which goes against one of the reasons that attracts people to the SG in the first place....to me the big fail has always been Gibson's excessive price.

Gurn likes this.
  17. '57 Precision

'57 Precision Member

THAT was an ugly damned guitar - the M111! Look! A gold top WolfPaul!

You beat me to it! I guess that it's better than being beaten with it. There was also the RD Artist which had a PC board in the back of it that allowed coil cutting, midrange boost, etc.

Um, you'd better check your facts homie!! They got rid of the Les Paul in the sixties since it wasn't a big seller when the surf band were hot. They reissued this in 1969 because the surf-rock thing was on its' way out. With the likes of Jeff Beck, and Eric Clapton and the Beatles playing these, it made a resurgance in popular music at that time. It was then decided to return the Les Paul and his name back to the public since his original contract expired.

Yeah, you're a Gibson lover - but you ARE WRONG about the Les Paul being a flop - look at the guitar encylopedia by Tony Bacon, and American guitars by Tom Wheeler. ALL Les Pauls from 1969 to present are REISSUES with some modernized features.

They did with weight relieved chambers. That is one UGLY guitar!!! Actually BOTH of them! It looks like they gave their kids some paint brushes and water colours, and said " Here kids - have at it " !!! I'm sorry people but over the years I've learned to HATE Gibson for their lack of vision, and originality, Sh!tty customer service, or rather the lack of it, and moving to nashville didn't make it any damned better! I knew a guy that worked there and he said that they hire anyone off the street with absolutely no experience with musical instrument making. Mostly people who want to make it in country music move there and try to get a record contract, and fail go to Gibson to get a job. He knows - that's what he did before he landed a gig being a studio guitarist. He worked at the local pawn shop doing repairs for a while before moving to hillbilly heaven.

18. stonem

stonem Supporting Member

Lmao I would love to hear more details about les.

19. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

Um, you'd better check your facts homie!! They got rid of the Les Paul in the sixties since it wasn't a big seller when the surf band were hot. They reissued this in 1969 because the surf-rock thing was on its' way out. With the likes of Jeff Beck, and Eric Clapton and the Beatles playing these, it made a resurgance in popular music at that time. It was then decided to return the Les Paul and his name back to the public since his original contract expired.

I was referring to the SG, homie.

ixnay and Scary Uncle G. like this.
  20. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

cam.man67 likes this.