Gibson files for Chapter 11

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tealsixtysix, May 1, 2018.

1. BPH

BPH Member

Fender might be next. Guitar Center owes them a bundle and they are next to go for BR protection

2. HERSCHEL

HERSCHEL Member

Ever heard of Squier?

That would all but assure I and many others would never buy their guitars again.

3. webe123

webe123 Member

Actually they DID WIN! As long as Henry J was in control.... Gibson was going to go down! It was just a fact! Now with him taken out and made a little more than a figurehead...maybe not for long at that, the company and everyone involved has a chance to start over. Remember...it was Henry J's stupid ideas like trying to turn the company into a "lifestyle" company and coming out with the most horrible designs of guitars that put Gibson in the spot that it is in now! As long as he was in charge Gibson was going nowhere fast....now at least they have a chance to change that. You sound like you are sorry for Henry j and the fat cats that have been his cronies! Well I am NOT sorry for him...NOT AT ALL! He did this to himself. I just hope the people at the lower end like the factory workers are not harmed by this. I could care less what happens to upper management at Gibson Guitars!

stormtrooper and until like this.
  4. HERSCHEL

HERSCHEL Member

You really have no idea how this stuff works. The only reason values would go up is panic-stricken fools going ape.

stormtrooper likes this.
  5. HERSCHEL

HERSCHEL Member

What good would that really do? The Chinese factory has been going strong for over a decade now. They will make as good a guitar as they get paid to make, just like Korea or Japan.

6. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Member

Ford never went bankrupt. (It worked out for GM, though.)

stormtrooper, mycroftxxx and AaeCee like this.
  7. MoPho

MoPho Pho Shizzle

I'm sure this has already been said but there are holders of Gibson's debt who will dump Henry as soon as they choose. The guy has totally mismanaged the business...no way he will be given a lifeline.

8. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

As I said in the other schadenfreude-laced Gibson chap. 11 thread, WE (here at TGP) were right about the issues and proper fix all along ... this time at least. You hear me talkin', Henry?!! :)

9. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Member

Nope, Fender refinanced a few years ago. They’re fine.

10. Toosday

Toosday Member

I speculate for a living. Part of being successful in speculation is knowing who the sheep are. Thanks for confirming that there is plenty of profit to be made off of people who have foolish viewpoints based on emotion not systems dynamics.

Help!I'maRock! likes this.
  11. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Member

I agree that used Gibson asking prices might spike. Whether they stay up depends on how things play out.

12. gtrguru

gtrguru Member

Sure I've heard or Fender Squire. Great low priced axes.

Nigel Davenport likes this.
  13. hillbillypolack

hillbillypolack Member

They took out big loans though. And now, Ford stated they will stop making cars (sedans) with the exception of the Mustang and a Focus variant. All other platforms will be SUV or truck based.

14. webe123

webe123 Member

THAT is HILARIOUS! I can't stop laughing at your quote!

15. toomanyamps

toomanyamps Member

No...in spite of what people on this board say, Henry did a fantastic job of running Gibson for nearly 30 years. He saved Gibson in 1986, he didn't destroy Gibson, he spent all Gibson's money buying Onkyo, TEAC, Philips etc. The big money creditors saw an opportunity to take Gibson away from Henry and seized it. There is nobody else left alive in the world who has the experience running a guitar company as large as Gibson.

SPROING! and HERSCHEL like this.
  16. Toosday

Toosday Member

I corrected your post.

IRG likes this.
  17. HERSCHEL

HERSCHEL Member

Touche. You're counting on the fools, which is often a good gamble, often even if not sustainable.

Toosday likes this.
  18. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

More of a thought than a recommendation ... but if I were another builder considering a LP-ish clone type, this is when I'd consider my launch. :rolleyes:

19. webe123

webe123 Member

Yeah Henry J IS A TROLL! Not because he took a chance but the way he ran the company into the ground by all the stupid things he did...but you wouldn't know anything about that ....would you? GIVE ME A BREAK!

20. arniez

arniez Supporting Member

Would just like to,say this;while everyone dances around Henry's demise. First: I’m no fan of what Henry has done! Have you ever had a dream? To be a star, for everyone to appreciate your musical genius the way you see it? Have you ever taken the biggest risk in your life, thinking you might fail? But you don.t care! So Henry rescued Gibson and made it relevant again. Then he F'd it up. He made a butt load of money for himself, presumably, and now he has established himself as the Satan of the guitar world. i own a Gibson advanced jumbo,my first quality electric was a '66 335 the guitar I dreamed about and an R 8 I couldn’t tolerate due to,poor QC. Some of this bashing is very justified, but in some ways it totally misses the point that he took huge risks, made the brand more relevant agiain, and then also made a lot of mistakes. No risk no gain. He took a shot maybe he blew it. Maybe he blew it really bad, but he took the risk and he suffers the blame. I can't help,but wonder how many of us would be willing to,take the risk? How many give of the job they hate, but supports them and their family to make music, to do that which really desire but risks what is near and dear to them. So, I think Henry did a poor job and have little use for most of his product. I think he is a Putz, but I do recognize the dream he chased and the risks he took despite his failure.
    ArnieZ

Last edited: May 1, 2018