Gibson files for Chapter 11

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tealsixtysix, May 1, 2018.

1. GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd Member

2. LeicaBossNJ

LeicaBossNJ Silver Supporting Member

3. LTE

LTE Member

4. lespauled

lespauled Member

Wait. What happened? Gibson? ....in bankruptcy? I didn't hear (the 500 threads here and 9000 on other forums)

Rumble likes this.
  5. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I'll have to add a sur charge when I sell my pre bankruptcy SG :red

6. zeffbeff

zeffbeff Member

Wait wait-- you mean the Whale Blue Dentist Burst and Joan Myers Silver Skis aren't worth thousands upon thousands of dollars?

How else can one plays BLOOZE JAMZ pentatonic 12 bar BLOOZE?

DavidTCIC and Len Bias III like this.
  7. GravityJim

GravityJim Member

No. Just defending themselves in court.

Business isn’t a soap opera, full of red-hot resentments, sinister plots, personal vendettas and high-school intrigue.

Funny how Gibson is so fracking bad, but we all seem to own a great one. I guess they only apply QC to guitars built for TGP’ers.

8. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I'd REALLY like to know PRS's thoughts are on this and what he thinks they need to do in post Bankruptcy to turn things around. I know it's a conflict of interest...but they've existed together this long.
    It seems somewhat simple IMHO....but I don't know much about it.

1. Reduce the number of brands to only those that perform very well. Reduce fat and redundancies in the process.
    2. Get back to core of guitar making. No more reverse V's, Dusk Tigers or tech that solves a problem that doesn't exist.
    3. Continue to focus on QC and fixing the G string problem once and for all. It's not funny any more, actually...it never was funny.
    4. I'd even say mimic some of the styling queues that have allowed PRS to excel. Beautiful and vivid bursts, keep the same beatifull classics no more zoot suits.

9. niomosy

niomosy Member

Short-term, your first two points seem likely. Trim the fat, trim the non-profitable pieces, and consolidate focus. The second two points seem unlikely to be a focus for this new management team at least for some time. They're going to be focused on a return on profits and paying back the bond holders. Quite honestly, I'm wondering if points 3 and 4 simply aren't handled by this management team much if at all with the focus being pay back the bond holders. By the time that's done, the new management team moves on, having accomplished the goals they were put in for, and a new management team will need to consider points 3 and 4.

10. sitedrifter

sitedrifter Gold Supporting Member

Did this guy read TGP and decide to make a video of what he learned? LOL

11. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals

He said Gibson guys are a bunch of basement wankers.

12. bbutler123

bbutler123 Member

Ha, ha, ha, ha. I'm laughing at the cleverness of the 'false statement' above asterisked, the 'corrected and true statement' below, fulfilling the above asterisk. Even the wording of the two statements. And frankly, the fact that the second one wasn't capitalized added to the effect (tho I'm not sure you did that on purpose :) This is one of the funniest things I've seen for a while.

I'm not laughing at, or about Gibson- just your clever treatment.

I'm still laughing.

cutaway likes this.
  13. ScorchedCortex

ScorchedCortex Member

14. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

We Are Devo!!!

art_z and Hot In The Shade like this.
  15. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I agree.

Still don't see where Juszkiewicz and Berryman had anything else close to lined up. I don't think they had the grits - I think the financiers and the creditors left them too many coins.

Can an outfit like Grover really afford to lose out on a sum this large? $ 367,000? I'm thinking, never mind about Gibson being crippled. If all the suppliers are royally screwed, it seems reasonable to me that a sort of "Musical Instrument Recession" could be triggered. The losses to all these suppliers either mean doors close, or that another supplier has to be found who will demand ransom.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    Stressfest likes this.
  16. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

Because we are all waiting for the ultimate dismissive post.

... still waiting...

17. captwillard

captwillard Member

PRS was struggling a few years back...not sure you'd want him running anything larger than what he has.

18. NoiseTerror

NoiseTerror Member

Several years ago i read an interview with their president, director or something like that, he said "The more we increase the price the more it sells". I saw it coming.

19. webe123

webe123 Member

He will be around for a year on a VERY short leash to get the company changed over to whoever ends up with it...that is up to a Federal Judge. But I will be GLAD when he is gone! The idiotic things he has done in the last few years have proved that he is not as great a leader as he or his followers think he is!

AaeCee likes this.
  20. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

He has "followers"?? ;)

webe123 likes this.