Gibson Flying V Question

Gus54

Ladies and Gentlemen, I know I have only been on this site for a day now... BUT....... I have a question about a guitar my wife and I acquired at an estate sale whilst buying some things. Furthermore, the very reason I joined this site was because of this posting I found while searching the net: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/archive/index.php/t-950112.html

My situation is very similar. Very
Please allow me to describe it and pix will be forthcoming.
It is a Gibson Flying V. Rosewood fretboard. Gold hardware including tuners.
It appears to be a "natural" and glossed wood. Blondish. 3 controls in a single line.
According to serial # made in 2005. The bridge is what confuses me. It is NOT a "V" shaped bridge-through body. It is a top loader (also gold hardware). It appears to have never been played and the plastic cover is still on the pickguard. It is "as new". Also the hard case is "as new". The inside of the case is blue velvet with a velvet drape affixed that pulls over covers the guitar. Could someone please tell me anything about this guitar. I have to run to Dr. at the moment but will check back in.
p.s. I am learning guitar at present and have a Fender Tele and Big Baby Taylor and used to sell guitars and work on amps about 31 years ago for 6 years (still do electronic work--all my life), so I am no stranger to guitars and amps but this one stumps me.

Thank you all, Gus

Last edited:

Gus54

Thank you! That is IT except for the color of the pups and the case interior/exterior. And from the Ser# made in '05. Will post pix later! Thank you!

Grap

Well that's a minor mystery solved. I picked up an SX V copy years back with that exact combination of features and often wondered what variant they were trying to rip off!

DanPaul

I had a 2005 V just like that! It was natural with white pickguard, 3 knobs in a row, TOM bridge, gold hardware and what appeared to be some sort of vintage sounding pickups. Burstbuckers perhaps? Great vintage sounding guitar. When I started doing some research on it I was only able to find one picture on the whole friggin' internet after exhaustive research so I understand where you are coming from. They seem to be pretty rare.

Dang, now I'm sad 'cause I really miss that guitar!

ixnay

I had a 2005 V just like that! It was natural with white pickguard, 3 knobs in a row, TOM bridge, gold hardware and what appeared to be some sort of vintage sounding pickups. Burstbuckers perhaps? Great vintage sounding guitar. When I started doing some research on it I was only able to find one picture on the whole friggin' internet after exhaustive research so I understand where you are coming from. They seem to be pretty rare.

Dang, now I'm sad 'cause I really miss that guitar!
The stock pickups on these (and the corresponding Explorers available at the same time) were 500T/496R ceramics, which sound anything but vintage. Easily my least favorite Gibson pickups...

gvonpaul

Which to me begs the question: Why doesn't Gibson make a natural, mahogany, back loading V in the '58 style? It's such an awesome look, but there's no way I could afford one in Korina. I think they would sell like hotcakes.

DanPaul

The stock pickups on these (and the corresponding Explorers available at the same time) were 500T/496R ceramics, which sound anything but vintage. Easily my least favorite Gibson pickups...
They were most assuredly not the 500T/496R ceramics that were stock on the Faded and V Factor versions of the V. They were not hot at all, were gold covered and had that unbalanced coil midrangey honk to them. They were slightly microphonic with and worked very well for clean and mid gain stuff. Actually, they sounded eerily similar to Seth Lovers. I never did pull them out to identify them though.

I just assumed it was some sort of oddball reissue that I could never identify.

Gus54

Took it out. Looked at it. Has all the case candy. Gold is starting to get a patina on the strap knob on the back (maybe tarnish). Need to take care of that gently. Still has the plastic covering on the pickguard. No, I am not going to play it. Son doesn't want it.
I have a modded '69 thinline that is mine and son has a Peavey. May put it in the nickel ads for takers. Don't know what to ask yet. As I first said. Got this with some stuff at an Estate Sale. Haven't opened the case in a year. No s***. Thank you all for helping on this quest as to what it really was. Gus

DanPaul

Gus, congrats on the guitar and good luck finding her a new home. I may keep my eyes on the emporium for this one!

DiPa

Constant GAS
It's real, I have one exactly. I swapped the pups for Peter Green Bare Knuckle pups.
This is a great guitar. Lots of tone and playability. It looks great and you should enjoy it. I bought mine new about the 1999 timeframe or thereabout.
Congrats!

DiPa

Constant GAS
By the way the stock pups sound good, I just did not like the gold screws and chrome screws combination cosmetically. So I swapped for PG.

DiPa

Constant GAS
You mentioned the pick guard plastic cover is still on, depending, it may cause the pick guard to change coloration if it was there for too long...

XKnight

Looks like a plain old Gibson Flying V with gold hardware and natural finish. Gibson may have called it a limited edition since they don't offer that finish as often as the black, white and red stain. I had a 2005 like it and should have kept it, especially since I sold it for peanuts. Here's a pic of mine (different case, tuners and tone controls though).

ixnay

Looks like the one I had in Vintage Burst. Bought mine new back in the early 00s when they were blown out for $749.

TattooedCarrot

Silver Supporting Member
Its a regular V in natural or natural burst. They ran from 98 to the mid 2000's, most came with a smaller pickguard and gold hardware.

The first runs from 98 were marked limited edition on the back of the headstock and were called the V98. After that, they were not marketed as anything different, although the pickguard differed and they didn't make as many in natural with gold hardware as they did the regular V.

They tend to bring more $$ than regular black, usually in the $900 range.

V-man

Gus, a correction/addition to what has been added.

It is NOT a "regular V"

It is a V98. A V98 is the standard "67 reissue body" with the pickguard and controls of a '58 Flying V. They were issued in 3 flavors: The V98 (natural with gold HW), The "Goth", which has the flat black finish, ebony board with a star-dotted crescent, and the Voodoo, which was a 1-2 year Goth "spare parts run" with purple/pink appointments to it.

These were produced from '98 (go figure) to the early-mid 2000s, and though they are much less common than a garden variety '67 RI, they are fairly common in their own right. Some people dig them because of the natural finish, which hasn't been available on a Flying V since the Second Reissues ('74-'82), and they compliment the natural Explorer '76 RI guitar.

It just looks wrong to me (being so hardwired to see '58 controls on a Korina and '67 controls on the '67 bodies". I do have a Goth, which is a great guitar and less abrupt to my eyes with everything blacked out, and they make great guitars. Best of all ,you can stomp on a cord and trash the output jack and you aren't out a whole pickguard like you would be a '67.

TattooedCarrot

Silver Supporting Member
Gus, a correction/addition to what has been added.

It is NOT a "regular V"

It is a V98. A V98 is the standard "67 reissue body" with the pickguard and controls of a '58 Flying V. They were issued in 3 flavors: The V98 (natural with gold HW), The "Goth", which has the flat black finish, ebony board with a star-dotted crescent, and the Voodoo, which was a 1-2 year Goth "spare parts run" with purple/pink appointments to it.

These were produced from '98 (go figure) to the early-mid 2000.
Dude, calm down.

The V98 designation only applied to the first run models that had the limited edition on the back of the headstock. Subsequent versions, although the same guitar, we're not marketed as V98 and did not carry the limited edition script as previous. It's just a technical marketing name difference.