Gibson freaks... help!

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by JB Eckl, Oct 9, 2008.

1. JB Eckl

JB Eckl Member

I played an acoustic guitar last February that has haunted me ever since. Now I'm determined to find one just like it. This guitar was simply unbelievable... the sound and look of a really good SJ, but tighter and smaller.

Shape: exactly like a Super Jumbo, but way smaller
    Scale: shorter than average, easy to bend notes
    Details: very pretty, almost too much decoration

It may have been an Emmylou Harris model L-200, but it seems there are 2 different versions of that model out there: a softer contoured one and the one they have on the Gibson site, with the more dramatic curves of an SJ-200. The one I played was like that. So... is there any other guitar it could have been?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  2. drive-south

drive-south Member

3. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

Yeah, could have been a CJ-165. Also could have been a J-185. I would not describe either of these as fancy unless you played the J-185 Vine. If it had the same pickguard as a J-200 it probably was an L-200 Emmy Lou model.

Gibson's catalog is getting about as big as what used to come to the house from Sears.

4. JB Eckl

JB Eckl Member

I found it! It was a J-200m. They're a limited run model from the Custom Shop, but they're not impossible to find... I'll have to play another one to see if it has the same mojo, and find out if there's really any difference between these and the Emmylou model. They're identical from what I can see.