Gibson - fretwire???

Earplayer

hi there!

i have played a gibson les paul standard 2008 (model) built in 2011 - actually a nice guitar... but what i really liked was the fret-wire on it... quite narrow and high very round - what kinda fretwire is that? which dimensions? i need a refret and i want exactly these frets on my old les paul...

...maybe someone knows what frets gibson is using here...

thanks a bunch!
all the best, tom.

Earplayer

are you sure this is the right dimension? that would be basically a 6105 dunlop but i think these frets are probably more narrow than dunlops 6105 ??

David Collins

Yup. I know they get their wire from Jescar, it consistently measures .090" width on their guitars, and around .055" height (give or take a few hairs from fret dressing and/or board scraping/polishing).

Earplayer

thank you!!

the frets on my r9 are very different much broader more jumbo-like... on the standard i´ve played they were slimmer/more narrow.

David Collins

I'm not sure off the top of my head what they use on the historic series, but yes, it is different from their standard wire.

Earplayer

again thank you mate!

what fretwire would you recommend for a refret a dunlop 6105 or the alloy 80%nickel and 20% silver jescar 090 055?

all the best,tom.

David Collins

I would generally recommend anything but Dunlop. Their wire is about the worst there is in my experience, in hardness, dimensional consistency, and getting sharp clean lines to the shape. Jescar is my favorite I'd say in all these categories, though to be honest StewMac's wire is a very close second - close enough that I could probably flip a coin and be happy using either.

All of these wires are similar alloys. 18% nickel, the rest mostly copper and zinc. The difference in quality comes in how they are rolled. This is what determines both the cleanliness and consistency of the shape, and also the hardening and tempering of the wire. Since StewMac doesn't have anything in that exact size anyway, that pretty much leaves Jescar. If you're looking for a smaller quantity I know there are resellers, but I'm not sure off the top of my head who stocks that particular size.

robertkoa

Yup. I know they get their wire from Jescar, it consistently measures .090" width on their guitars, and around .055" height (give or take a few hairs from fret dressing and/or board scraping/polishing).

David - my Carvin Guitar uses Jescar Medium Jumbo I think it's .104X .047 H and I want to try the wire used on the Les Paul Supreme- not the size but the MATERIAL called Gold EVO by Jescar.

Supposedly this wire, although halfway between Nickel and Stainless in hardness wears very slowly more like Stainless but I'm hoping I can still get fret grind sustain from finger vibrato with it like Nickel - it comes in my preferred size- do you have any experience with it yet ?

Thanks.

Earplayer

my luthier just told me he only has stewmac .092 .048 :cry:

just ordered the jescars - but he has troubles finding them here in europe...

bluzkat

If this is the fret wire you want (jescar) ask him to order some, or... find someone else.

:cool:

David Collins

David - my Carvin Guitar uses Jescar Medium Jumbo I think it's .104X .047 H and I want to try the wire used on the Les Paul Supreme- not the size but the MATERIAL called Gold EVO by Jescar.

Supposedly this wire, although halfway between Nickel and Stainless in hardness wears very slowly more like Stainless but I'm hoping I can still get fret grind sustain from finger vibrato with it like Nickel - it comes in my preferred size- do you have any experience with it yet ?

Thanks.

Oh yeah - I've fretted a lot of guitars in EVO. I love the stuff. It ranks between stainless and nickel on the hardness tests, but I would say feels and wears much closer to stainless than nickel. It looks a bit gold in the roll, but once it's polished out it really doesn't stand out as too gold on the fretboard. Almost has more of a silver shine unless you get it in just the right light, with a bit of a softer gold hue to it. It has a "soft" enough color to perhaps stand out as odd on a guitar with chrome hardware, but blends quite naturally with nickel. Placed against gold hardware it almost looks more silver, but tames the whole contrast between traditional nickel wire and gold hardware.

If you want that friction that the softer nickel wire has though, I don't know that you're really going to find it with the EVO wire. Of course you could just scuff the surface with some 800-1200 grit paper, which is still fine enough to look quite well polished, but will leave a slight amount of surface texture to get that friction and rub somewhat similar to a softer wire. I haven't tried doing this to be honest, but it seems like a reasonable idea on paper. :dunno

Last edited:

David Collins

my luthier just told me he only has stewmac .092 .048 :cry:

just ordered the jescars - but he has troubles finding them here in europe...

Jescar's wire is actually made at a rolling mill in Germany, but I don't know anything about European distributors for them. It would be unfortunate for Europeans if it were an exclusive deal where all wire had to be shipped across the Atlantic and back again, but perhaps he could contact Jeff as Jescar and see if there are any European distributors.

If there are, I think your tech may find switching to Jescar wire to be a pleasant surprise overall. StewMac's wire is certainly good - I have no complaints about it at all, but Jescar is my favorite. They are also the biggest fret wire supplier for most manufacturers (in the US at least) so it's easier to get true accurate direct replacement sizes for partial refrets or maintaining original sizes.

For business orders, Jeff Silver at Jescar is a great guy to work with, and if your tech contacts him he may be able to guide them to the best way to get the wire in Europe.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom