Gibson Futura??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by TheOneOff, Oct 30, 2007.

1. TheOneOff

TheOneOff Silver Supporting Member

Does anyone know anything about these guitars? Opinions? Comments? (referring to the Explorer shaped model)

From what I can tell:
    Made 1999 - 2002 in the Custom Shop
    Very Limited Release
    Korina
    Came in natural and gold sparkle w/ gold or nickel hardware.

Thanks!

2. TheOneOff

Ha Ha, I knew they weren't popular, but I didn't know that they were THAT unpopular!

3. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

zilmo has one.
    I'd love one, but have never seen one available in my local market. (and probably could not afford it)
    the futura, as best I understand it was the prototype for what would go into production as the Explorer. I've never played on, but just on looks, I like the Explorer a bit better. it looks more refined to my eye.
    that being said the Futura's that exist, are significant instruments. If you can find one and you can afford it, it's probably a safe bet. at the very least I suspect you can turn money on it just holding it for a while, and at best you have a cool guitar you love and it's a rare thing to boot

4. shuie

shuie Silver Supporting Member

Gibson did some of them in Mahogany, FWIW. Very cool guitars, IMO. I think they are a little more comfortable to play while sitting than a regular Explorer because the mid section is so thin. Neck access to the higher registers is unparalleled. Split headstock is way cool, too.

Its impossible to say which is more accurate since there were less than a handful of the real guitars that ever left the factory, but there is one very good Japanese copy of these guitars that is attainable for literally a fraction of the price of the Gibson reissue, if you are interested and don't mind a thin neck profile. Gratuitous pic of my old one below:

[​IMG]

5. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

I've seen and played Zilmo's....fabulous guitar....get it if you can !!!!:JAM

6. JStizz

JStizz Member

all i know about them is that theyre ugly as hell.

they had two red ones with gold hardware and black pickguards at the Nashville GC a while back. i havent seen them in a while and im not in any way bummed about that...

7. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

Man I played one at the Gibson custom shop a few years ago that was on the wall in the Artist relations room. It was Korina, made with a BIG NECK and I almost took that over the historic 58' paul that I bought. It sounded huge...

8. TheOneOff

I kind of dig em' but, they are one of those guitars that you either love or hate and was curious to see if anyone played this rare bird?

Did find an a review on Harmony Central that said they made only 75 pieces from 1999 - 2002.

9. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

I think they are cool as hell.

Mike

10. matte

matte Senior Member

i've owned 5 of them. phil jones hand built the early joints and it shows. lots of vibe/charm/etc. in them. as lance said, HUGE necks and featherweight bodies.

i sold a sparkle joint to buzz @ lark street last year. mahogany (not korina) and an absolutely killing guitar as regards, fit and finish, playability and tones.
    [​IMG]

11. TheOneOff

For those of you who are interested, I just got this email back from Gibson:

12. 59GIBSON

59GIBSON Member

I agree:dudeMine is from 1999 has a big neck and really sounds huge. It's very light weight (under 7lbs)and is a very lively guitar,

[​IMG]

13. geetarboy

geetarboy Member

Wait, I seem to remember a Gibson Futura being out in the early '80s (81. 82?). Ami getting senile?

14. geetarboy

geetarboy Member

15. TheOneOff

No, you are not going senile!

The early 80's Futura was a set neck guitar based of the Corvus body style which had a bolt on neck.

16. tim gueguen

tim gueguen Member

The early '80s Futura was the more upscale big brother of the bolt neck Gibson Corvus. The body was supposedly originally designed to be used with a headless neck, but for some reason Gibson went with a normal tuners on headstock neck.

17. TheOneOff

Well, after this thread I found one and traded out for it.

I LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT! Very light, well balanced, huge neck, great rock n roller! Would love to hear comments from anyone else who owns one!

18. donnievaz

donnievaz Member

What are these thing worth? There's one for sale here locally I may pick up. I'm talking about the weird early eighties model.

19. TheOneOff

The can opener style body? Those in very good condition are under $1,000. I would put it say probably $750 average?

20. donnievaz

donnievaz Member

So I should jump on one at $250 then :)