Gibson GA-15 Goldtone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Zim, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Zim

Zim Member

I just got one of these, the 110 combo, made in Great Britain.

Are these PTP? I know the GA-5 is or some are?

They seem heavy duty. I haven't looked inside, and it seems to be a pain to inside.

So there was only 199 made in the UK?

2. Zim

Zim Member

OH, and is there a 112 cab for these amps? The Goldtone series? or a 110 cab? I know there is a 212 for for the "Super Goldtone" line.

Or is there a cab builder who can make one that looks like a Goldtone?

3. Zim

Zim Member

Ok, I see that it is NOT PTP, but it sounds sweet! Even w/ sovtek tubes.

4. Zim

Zim Member

Ok, not all at once now

5. Aslan

Aslan Supporting Member

I have the GA15RV and it is one of the best amps I own, the Goldtone's are the most underrated amp to come out in the last 10 years. Even though they are only 15 WATTS they are plenty loud enough to gig with, the class A tone is excellent and they came with a Vintage 30 speaker stock. You can still pick these up for less than $500 .

6. Caribou

Caribou Silver Supporting Member

I've also got a Ga-15rv-- one of the u.s. made units. I don't think they ever had a 10" speaker, even when they were made in the U.K. Mine has a 12" Celestion V-30 and JJ tubes. My main amp is a 100w Fender, but this little amp has plenty of output for most of the situations I would ever be found playing in. At 40lbs it's a lot more fun to lug around than my 80lb Fender too.

7. cameron

cameron Member

Did they ever change the circuit in these or are they still the Trace Elliott Velocette design?

8. Zim

Zim Member

Mine is the GA-15, not the GA-15RV Mine is the 110 combo, no verb.

9. Caribou

A little late to the party, but.....I don't think there were any changes to the amp. There was a problem at one point with something like tube sockets melting or something, so they changed that, but as far as I know, nothing else.

10. Zim

Zim Member

Yup!

11. jzilla

jzilla Member

a friend of mine (who worked on invader zim and drew your avatar incidentally!) bought one of these amps today. his is also the ga-15 110 combo with no verb or trem. has the made in uk sticker on the back. is it true that there were only 199 made? do you know if the british ones are different? what a sleeper! sounds awesome.

thanks,
    -j

12. mrmuzikhead

mrmuzikhead Member

I LOVE these . I have 4 versions. A 1X10 Trace Elliot, a 1X12 Gibson GA15RV, a 2X12 Gibson GA30RVS (stereo version with 2 15 watt Class A amps inside) and a Custom Shop Trace Elliot 1X10 SE (single ended)They are underated and a great buy if you can find them

13. JPF

JPF Member

The Velo and Gibson-badged GA-15 series are great little amps - perhaps not the best build quality, but mine's still original and hasn't let me down in the 15 years I've had it...
    [​IMG]

14. Stonehenge

Stonehenge Member

Here are my GA-30 RV and the GA-5 of my friend...

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Caribou

Slightly ot, but I'm curious, since there are a handful of GA owners here, has anyone else had the "Gibson" logo fall apart on their amp? Mine (what's left of it) is is many pieces. I tried a few different kinds of special glue to put it back together, but failed to keep it that way. I've looked into buying a replacement logo but haven't been able to find one.

16. Stonehenge

Stonehenge Member

17. Caribou

Thanks for that link. That's the only one I've seen before. I'm really hoping for the original metal one (a sturdier version would be helpful too!).

18. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

$35 plus shipping for a piece of gold flavored plastic that I have to glue on..? I think I'll look for an alternative method...

Before acquiring my Goldtone I used a Koch Twintone head, which is a really sweet piece of gear in its own right. I even bought a Hermida Audio 4x10 cab for it and that head and combo is a terrific combination, but I find I'm still favoring my GA-15RV. However, I just read this in the Manual the other day and am going to try it this weekend, running out of the Gibson and into the Koch.
    [​IMG]

19. JPF

JPF Member

Thanks for that tip, NyteOwl. I've never tried to use the Velo as a slave to my MT, but I may well give that a try. Running your TT with a Hermida 4x10" sounds like a lot of fun - I'm toying with the idea of swapping my MT's Jenson-designed Koch-branded 12" speakers for something less "tight" - maybe a pair of Celestion Blues or Golds - we'll see.

I agree with you the GA/Velo tone is fantastic - for playing clean when headroom isn't an issue, I prefer playing through the Velo than the MT, especially with my Strat or P90-equipped guitars. It dishes out that Vox-like Paperback Writer chime in spades, something I cannot get the Koch or the Harlequin to do properly.

Hope I don't up my Velo or MT over the weekend (I just know I'm going to have to give that a try. :D