• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Gibson GA 18 T Explorer Amp at Pawn

cottonmike

At my local pawn shop right now, there is an absolute immaculate example of the amp in the listing below. It has no logo on the front, so guess that delineates it to be a 1957?

600$. This has to be a great deal, is it not? And, when I say clean, I would have thought it would show more age even if it only sat in the same closet for 60 years. Original cover included.

Thank you for any thoughts.

http://pickerssupply.com/vintage-instruments/c-1957-gibson-ga-18t-explorer-amp

billyguitar

A little rough. I would try to talk them down but if they won't take it anyway. maybe they'll throw in a cord or some strings. It will need a couple of hundred dollars worth of maintenance and a better speaker. It's up to you!

cottonmike

A little rough. I would try to talk them down but if they won't take it anyway. maybe they'll throw in a cord or some strings. It will need a couple of hundred dollars worth of maintenance and a better speaker. It's up to you!

No, I'm sorry to not be more clear. The listing I posted is just for general reference. The GA 18 T at the local pawn looks like it just left the music dealer in 1959. It's in brand new condition.

billyguitar

No, I'm sorry to not be more clear. The listing I posted is just for general reference. The GA 18 T at the local pawn looks like it just left the music dealer in 1959. It's in brand new condition.
Oh. I saw you say that but then the pics were different. The price is ok but it should still get a cap job and tube sockets cleaned and retensioned. AND, if the speaker is a Jensen ST a better speaker will surely help the sound in every way. Gibson usually put the cheapest Jensens in the smaller amps.

thosk

I paid $600 for my Tweed '61 GA18T (see Avatar), with the original JensenP10R(re-coned)and a recent service/cap job. Sort of a single channel tweed deluxe with a bit more headroom and beautiful Trem. The "Tweed" model used 12ax7s and 6V6s, the "Crestline" model had el84s and 6eu7s, IIRC.

harvey j

I paid $600 for my Tweed '61 GA18T (see Avatar), with the original JensenP10R(re-coned)and a recent service/cap job. Sort of a single channel tweed deluxe with a bit more headroom and beautiful Trem. The "Tweed" model used 12ax7s and 6V6s, the "Crestline" model had el84s and 6eu7s, IIRC.
I wouldn't pay over $300

cottonmike

Thanks for the input. This one doesn't have the logo on the grill, but otherwise seems to be exactly like yours. Do you know what the absence of the grill logo means as far as date of manufacture?

Bluzeboy

Do you know what the absence of the grill logo means as far as date of manufacture?

Not sure you can date them like that. I’ve personally never seen one that didn’t have at least part of the logo. They break off or fall off.
Not sure what @harvey j is talking about.. I own one and have played a few others I like em. GREAT tremolo. Think the beginning of Chains chains chains by Aretha and you get the idea.
600 is not a bad price if its straight.

Here is my friends being restored.
http://djlservice.com/AudioGibsonGA18wPhotos.htm

v-verb

I've got a couple of Gibson Tweeds. They are GREAT amps. Very underrated. Just play them yourself and don't let "Internet wisdom" sway you. And I've had several Tweed Fenders (Tweed Pro narrow panel, narrow panel Tweed Champ, Tweed Harvard). The Gibson tweeds fly under the radar definitely

thosk

cottonmike

Well, went back to the pawn shop to by the amp. Plugged it in to do a test drive, and-no worky. Only 3 of the 5 tubes glow and they are very weak. Pawn shop is ready to deal now so I think I could get it for relatively cheap.Question is, what's it going to take to get it running?

What is the worst case scenario and is there anything that could be wrong that would make it imposible to repair?

Thanks for your help-

Michael

PremiumPlus

It's a simple tube amp. It's old, the electrolytic caps need to be replaced, and likely a few tubes too. Worst case scenario would be a bad power or output transformer, then it gets a little expensive but it's worth it if you can get it cheap.

slider313

Gold Supporting Member
Offer $400, tax included and you'll probably be able to get it up to speed for about $100-$125.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom