Gibson GA20-RVT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Bloozman, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Bloozman

Bloozman Member

Wow!!...What an awesome amp. I love it on the lower setting...Great Blues drive. Anyone else playing the blues thru this tone monster??

I play an ES-335 that was outfitted with P-90's...what tone!!

2. Dave B

Dave B Exit... Dual Stage Left Silver Supporting Member

You talking about the new one, or the 40 year old version?

3. edbuff

edbuff Member

I own one of these and I am getting ready to sell it. It is way to complicated. I am only capable of handling a tone and volume control. This has 2 channels and I am completly baffled.

4. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    PM please.

5. Dave B

Dave B Exit... Dual Stage Left Silver Supporting Member

For some of my recent musings on the new Gibsons, see
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=353659&page=2

Here's some info I had posted about this amp's two channels a year and a half ago when I first received it. Hope it explains a few things for you. There are other threads on this amp from around the time it came out about a year and a half to two years ago.

==> My tech told me Ch1 uses a Bandaxell circuit (active Treble & Bass like old Ampegs), and Ch2 uses a Marshall style TrebMidBass. Ch2 had its input signal reduced considerably compared to Ch1, such that when both were dimed, Ch2 was not quite half as loud as Ch1 (which has a righteous crunch, BTW). Great for household playing, but not very usable within a band. He put a push/pull pot in for the Ch2 volume control (which I think bypasses a resistor when engaged), and it now gets about 3/4 of Ch1's volume - still not balanced, but way more usable.

==> The mix control is pretty cool, and is a great way to test pedals through two different tone stacks. Some of my effects are noticeably different between the two channels. Though having said that, I use an A/B box, with a different sets of pedals in each path.

==> The reverb only works on Ch2, while the trem works on both channels. The general consensus is the tremolo is very disappointing, and is the weakest part of an otherwise fine amp.