• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Gibson guitar tuning stability hack. Does this really work??

Fenderbaum

Been a Strat lover mostly but I had an Epi LP once. Never did i have any tuning problems at all with that guitae. So a stoptail guitar, are they really that hard to keep in tune.??
I have two Strats and i can more or less keep them in tune easily.

Tommy Biggs

Gold Supporting Member
I didn’t watch the video because my LP tunes up nicely and stays in tune.
I have a 90s Studio with a maple/ebony neck.
I had a LP Custom that was good too.
I’ve got a good tech though...

Mack72

Anyone want to tell us what’s in the clickbait video..?
Basically, when you string the G, B, and E string, you simply string/wind up rather than down (if that makes sense...).
My G string tends to go outta whack on my Custom a bit sooner than my other guitars. Nothing horrible. Always looking for ways to make simple improvements is all.
Was just wondering if this stringing technique was well known or a bunch of bunk.

otaypanky

Play it like you mean it ~
Platinum Supporting Member
Basically, when you string the G, B, and E string, you simply string/wind up rather than down (if that makes sense...).
My G string tends to go outta whack on my Custom a bit sooner than my other guitars. Nothing horrible. Always looking for ways to make simple improvements is all.
Was just wondering if this stringing technique was well known or a bunch of bunk.
There have been a lot of times when a G string gave me a problem. Often times I had to use my teeth to get them out of the crack ~

stormin1155

My Les Paul has the best tuning stability of all of my guitars. But what he says does make sense... less of a break angle may make the string slide easier through the slot. I've never found the need when the nut is cut and lubed properly.

Chuckracer

Gold Supporting Member

Yep, that's the first one that'll give you a problem. It's a lousy headstock design.
Try winding them up...let us know. I fixed mine by selling them.

fuzz guy

Get your nut slots finished by a capable luthier, use something that will keep those slots running smooth (like Big Bends Nut Sauce) and learn to string your guitar properly. There’s your Gibson tuning hack.
I'll admit I didn't watch the video, because what is written above is all you need to know. A properly cut nut is the most important and possibly most overlooked factor in tuning stability, playability and tone.

Trending Topics