Gibson guitar tuning stability hack. Does this really work??

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
I've owned a lot of Gibsons. The only one that wouldn't stay in tune was a 61 SG reissue with a Maestro. Current #1 is a Midtown and I can play a whole set without having to touch the tuning.

CCG

I don't have these issues, as others have said a properly cut nut with some lube each string change and I use locking tuners. Stays in tune like a champ. Good luck!

Hulakatt

Gold Supporting Member
You will NEVER be able to keep a Les Paul in tune even with a locking nut. Blame that stupid peghead angle and shape with NO strings that are a parallel angle (straight) to the nut.

Why do you think great guitarists like Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, switched from LP and other Gibson's to Stratocasters with straight pegheads?? They STAY IN TUNE even with Becks super deep dives with the Trem.
This is hilariously out of touch and flat out misinformation. I have 2 Gibsons and an Edwards with zero tuning issues. I also have a telecaster with a G that wanders in and out of tune.

Reactions: IAE

Hulakatt

Gold Supporting Member
What do people have against having their guitars properly set up? Like there's some kind of perverse pride in not taking your guitar to a luthier if you're having problems or even just for a simple and thorough setup? Factory nuts are never given a thorough amount of attention and if someone changes their string gauges or even brands from the factory OEM strings, the nut should be recut to work with the new strings! It's basic maintenance, like checking your brakes or oil, yet so many people brag about neglecting theirs guitars and then whine and complain when they don't function flawlessly.

Take care of your tools and your tools will take care of you.

Dr Doom

??!! I was being facetious about using a locking nut. Have you ever seen a LP or any Gibson with a locking nut??? D'uh.
Yeah, sure you were. You post something dumb, but I'm the dumb one LOL. And yes, Gibson within the last couple years has had a couple les paul models with floyds w/locking nuts. Plus, it was a very common mod in the 80's to install floyds/locking nuts on guitars that didn't come with them. So everyone but you apparently has seen them. But keep being stupid, stupidity and moronic posts is always great for laughs

Last edited:

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
You will NEVER be able to keep a Les Paul in tune even with a locking nut. Blame that stupid peghead angle and shape with NO strings that are a parallel angle (straight) to the nut.

Why do you think great guitarists like Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, switched from LP and other Gibson's to Stratocasters with straight pegheads?? They STAY IN TUNE even with Becks super deep dives with the Trem.
And how many great guitarists stuck with Gibsons?

xmd5a

The real question is does Teflon grease work better than graphite?
What if you use both, and make a grease / graphite jam?

To be honest, I'm not sure either work very well. The guitar slipping out of tune is something that happens with some probability, and to some varying degree. The idea that any of them work could be nothing more than wishful thinking.

I think, truth be told, re-filing the slots to have a wider and more gradual channel works better than anyt goo, but fret files are expensive, and if you're not careful you can go too far and mess up the nut all together. That's why nut sauce or graphite are appealing fixes, because working with the nut itself is so unappealing.

xmd5a

Yeah, sure you were. You post something dumb, but I'm the dumb one LOL. And yes, Gibson within the last couple years has had a couple les paul models with floyds w/locking nuts. Plus, it was a very common mod in the 80's to install floyds/locking nuts on guitars that didn't come with them. So everyone but you apparently has seen them. But keep being stupid, stupidity and moronic posts is always great for laughs
Someone needs to invent a retro fit, non destructive locking nut that clamps shut with an lever, instead of screws. I think it could make someone a lot of money. If you presume, as I do, that 99% of tuning issues are nut related one way or another, a locking nut would solve almost all tuning issues, and turn almost any trem system Floyd Rise like stability. What I'm asking for is probably a tall order, but the harder the job, but bigger the reward.

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
Fender System III lever locknut for mid80s MIJ Stratocaster. Didn't catch on as the fairly simple adjustment was not well followed.

Doomrider78

Someone needs to invent a retro fit, non destructive locking nut that clamps shut with an lever, instead of screws. I think it could make someone a lot of money. If you presume, as I do, that 99% of tuning issues are nut related one way or another, a locking nut would solve almost all tuning issues, and turn almost any trem system Floyd Rise like stability. What I'm asking for is probably a tall order, but the harder the job, but bigger the reward.
So what you're saying is to solve tuning issues dont replace the nut, replace the nut? :huh

If you need to replace the nut, just replace it with a properly cut one. No need for new inventions.

xmd5a

So what you're saying is to solve tuning issues dont replace the nut, replace the nut? :huh
I never said not to replace the nut. Maybe you have me confused for someone else.

When I was talking about graphite, I was talking about graphite powder, not a whole graphite nut.

Hulakatt

Gold Supporting Member
Honestly, one of the better nut solutions was Fender's LSR roller nut. Used ballbearings to create a surface that was perfectly valley'd for any string gauge and impossible for any string to bind in. Unfortunately, they broke easily and the little ballbearings fell out pretty easily after that.

Doomrider78

I never said not to replace the nut. Maybe you have me confused for someone else.

When I was talking about graphite, I was talking about graphite powder, not a whole graphite nut.
This

Someone needs to invent a retro fit, non destructive locking nut that clamps shut with an lever, instead of screws.
I didnt say you said not to replace the nut: what I was questioning was your assertion that someone needed to invent something to solve an issue that could already be resolved by a simple, traditional nut replacement that is already readily available.

What if you use both, and make a grease / graphite jam?

To be honest, I'm not sure either work very well. The guitar slipping out of tune is something that happens with some probability, and to some varying degree. The idea that any of them work could be nothing more than wishful thinking.

I think, truth be told, re-filing the slots to have a wider and more gradual channel works better than anyt goo, but fret files are expensive, and if you're not careful you can go too far and mess up the nut all together. That's why nut sauce or graphite are appealing fixes, because working with the nut itself is so unappealing.
Graphite and proper string stretching works very well for me.

xmd5a

I didnt say you said not to replace the nut: what I was questioning was your assertion that someone needed to invent something to solve an issue that could already be resolved by a simple, traditional nut replacement that is already readily available.
A locking nut is a lot better than a slippery nut, but less convenient, due to both because of the screws as well as the guitar having to be modified to accept it.

xmd5a

Honestly, one of the better nut solutions was Fender's LSR roller nut. Used ballbearings to create a surface that was perfectly valley'd for any string gauge and impossible for any string to bind in. Unfortunately, they broke easily and the little ballbearings fell out pretty easily after that.
I have that on an old Deluxe Strat, I don't know that the ball bearings actually move that much. They're certainly low friction either way. It also has locking tuners and shallow break angles, and I sort of clamped the bridge, so I don't really have a strong opinion about how well it works, but the nut slot had to be specially cut for it, so it's non reversible that fix I would not consider for all my regular nut guitars.

Doomrider78

A locking nut is a lot better than a slippery nut, but less convenient, due to both because of the screws as well as the guitar having to be modified to accept it.
That's debatable. Maybe so for a floyd trem-equipped guitar, but not necessary on hardtails.

Yuro

Get your nut slots finished by a capable luthier, use something that will keep those slots running smooth (like Big Bends Nut Sauce) and learn to string your guitar properly. There’s your Gibson tuning hack.
Chap-Stick! Cheaper and easier to use than Nut-Sauce!!!

Yuro

Um...No need to get nasty here. I know your handle is Dr. Doom, but...try and stay positive, heh?

Yuro

Graphite powder is really messy! I vote for chap-stick...again. It works fine, doesn't show, it's cheap and you just rub the stick across the grooves and you're done. You just need a tiny bit of lubrication where string touches the groove.

I'm not a whammy fan. Don't want a locking nut. I don't have a lot of tuning issues with LPs or any of my guitars. Good nuts are important...and chap-stick (I have no affiliation with the Chap-Stick industry).

Trending Topics