Gibson Guitars so good but pickups so bad?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Tuberattler, May 9, 2008.

1. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

I've got a LP and even like the pups but the bridge sqeals like a pig when I turn up the gain. Funny thing is my PRS doesn't do this. I even have an SG Epi that I put the GFS pups in and it sounds better than my real LP.

What gives?? Is there a way to keep the squeeling pickup from doing this. Is it safe to pot it with wax? How is that done?

Any help would be apprecaited.

2. ?&!

?&! Member

It's just a microphonic pickup. There is a great wax-potting how-to by Lindy Fralin on the StewMac website. It's pretty easy, and it works like a charm. I use a re-potted Gibson 498t in my SG, and it kills. Good luck!!!

3. GtrDr

GtrDr Member

I like to gripe about Gibson's spotty build quality, but I find their pickups to be well made. If you have unpotted Burst Buckers found on some of the historics, they can squeel a bit. The over the counter replacement versions are potted & very quiet.

4. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

Oh it's just funny, how they can make a killer guitar and not pot the pups so they don't squeal. They know we like to turn it up!

5. Robboman

Robboman Member

I agree, but some vintage purists prefer unpotted because that's how they were made originally and supposedly have slightly different tone.

6. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

Wow! Some like it original even if it's poor design. I can see that but that's not me.. I don't think this is a vintage RI or anything, just a nice LP.

I may send 'em out to Lindy Fralin for potting as he's only $10 a piece plus shipping.

7. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

I've always found that pickups on the edge of squealing have the sweetest tone. If you're a high gain guy then you have to make compromises but as the gain goes up, the less it matters what the pickups sound like anyway.