Gibson guy crossing to the dark side?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MORE BARN, Feb 15, 2015.

1. MORE BARN

MORE BARN Member

Always liked the Gibson sounds & playability better...but of course, much of that was before actually playing in bands, so maybe that's why I never found the Fender sound appealed to me as much (bedroom tone with the Gibsons?).

I've noticed lately that my Nashville Tele is all I'm playing. It's the one that I leave out and play, and the one that I bring when I play in the band, where it really shines. Regardless of the volume in the room or what's going on, the Tele I can hear, and it doesn't have to be loud.

Of course, my ears are a bit older and blown-out, so maybe that's part of it also.

The Tele also seems to be perfect--for me--in other ways...Strats hang too far to the right; my SG hangs too far to the left. LP's hang too far to the right also. The Tele hangs perfect. It also sits on the lap perfect.

This allows upper fret access which is good enough, and if I need to slide (I play slide mostly) higher, I use the non-contoured edges to move the guitar to the left with my right arm. With Strats, they're always moving all over the place, sliding around, can't get a grip on 'em.

It never goes out of tune, and the controls are out of the way and simple. I put the knobs at the halfway point and adjust from there. It's really easy to play dynamically this way--sometimes playing quietly with no pick, and then turn up the volume for a split second to play something nasty.

I see why people rave about these things, I guess I get it fully now. The Tele is so practical.

...Waxhead...?

:p

2. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

Dark side? I'd say bright side!

I'm on both sides.

3. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

I never understood the whole Ford vs Chevy mentality when it comes to guitars. Gibson/Fender tones have their place.

4. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

teles totally do not suck.

5. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

There is no dark side. IMO a Tele and a 335 can do everything, though I certainly love to sprinkle in some Gretsch & Ric along with the other G & F flavors (and G&L) now & then. :cool:

6. 8len8

8len8 Member

Noooooooooo!!!!!!

7. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

Tele is a great friend to the Gibson head.

8. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

most Gibby guys tend to lean towards the tele when it comes to fenders. its a natural choice. and yes, your ears may be blown, but you also may consider that you are a better player than you used to be and you can handle all the lovely nuances of the tele and the single coils.

nothing (aside from a P90) steps out in a mix (full band situation) like a tele. don't ask why, just enjoy the sonic evolution and enjoy the ride!

9. MORE BARN

MORE BARN Member

I never understood the whole Ford vs. Chevy mentality either.

I only understood my Ford vs. Chevy mentality.

Anxiety, ADHD, etc.

10. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

i have both a LP and a Strat. Used to have a Tele.

All i am saying is you got the dark and Bright sides confused.

11. MORE BARN

MORE BARN Member

Well thank you! And yes, listening back to things from 5, 10 years ago, you are right, I did improve.

Have to give credit to this place, this is where I learned that guitars have knobs...back then, I had a LP and an American Standard Tele. I noticed the knobs didn't seem to do as much with the LP as they did with the Tele.

12. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

There's absolutely no reason you can't be in both camps.

13. MORE BARN

MORE BARN Member

I can't find a reason.

Crossing doesn't mean staying on the other side.