• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Gibson Hardware

jimshine

Some is made by Schaller, but the Historic type stuff is either made in house or by machine shop. I have seen the large boxes of wireless ABR1's and they are from the company that plates them (ECF) for Gibson, not in a OEM box.

jamison162

The Gibson Deluxe Klusons look like Gotoh's from the housing and knob color.

I've read recently that Ping makes alot of stuff for Gibson (and almost everyone else these days).

Is Schaller still in business? What about ABM? Another 40 yr German co. that I had never heard of.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
gibson "klusons" with the screw-in bushings (factory stuff) are currently grover.

the ones with the vintage-style press-fit bushings (historics) are gotoh and are superior, with bent-steel housings (not pot metal).

sunburst79

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
the right answer is of course the callaham steel ABR-1, but that's over a hundred bucks.

that philidelphia one looks legit, so $35-$40 would be a steal.

Clorenzo

Is Schaller still in business? What about ABM? Another 40 yr German co. that I had never heard of.
Sure, Schaller is alive and well and ABM too, both available from Allparts. I have ABM bridges in two of my basses and they are excellent and very well machined. I've never tried a TOM from either brand though (if you want to find them in Allparts search by "tunematic", that's what they call them).

jamison162

the right answer is of course the callaham steel ABR-1, but that's over a hundred bucks.

that philidelphia one looks legit, so $35-$40 would be a steal.
I don't doubt it's a quality made bridge, but would be a tonal experiment, an $$expensive one at that. It's the only all steel ABR being made that I know of and I keep reading mixed reviews on it.

The ABR from Philadelphia Luthiers is the same bridge as the Gibson Historic and comes from Advanced Plating so I've been told.

sunburst79

The ABR from Philadelphia Luthiers is the same bridge as the Gibson Historic and comes from Advanced Plating so I've been told.
Very tempting to try one of these. I stuck a Gibson no wire on my 96 R9 back before they became available aftermarket. It was silly expensive. However the tone seemed to improve so I put them on both R8s also. The most dramatic improvement was in the 96 were the original saddles were the sloppiest. At this price I would definitely retrofit these to some regular ABR-1 Gibson's that needed new bridges. I would be very surprised if they say ABR-1 on the underside though.

BenLF

The tuners on my '61 reissue SG were made by Ping. I'm going to check but I think the bridge and tailpiece were also made by Ping.

It's interesting. I have a Korean made Peerless guitar which has much nicer no name tuners (also in the Kluson style). I tried putting a magnet against them. The Korean tuners are made of steel. The Gibson Deluxe (Ping) tuners are not (probably zinc).

I also put a magnet to the bridge and tailpiece. Both are zinc. But on the Korean Peerless, the studs are steel.

I really can't believe Gibson puts such cheap hardware on its otherwise pricey Made in USA guitars.

Kluson sells a made in usa bridge and tailpiece. Philadelphia Luthiers does too. I may try swapping them out and, while I'm at it, replace the zinc with steel.

Trending Topics