Gibson has raised the quality level

I wonder if anyone here have observed how Gibson USA dramatically have raised the build quality level of their guitars within the last couple of year or so? I've recently bought a brand new (2022) Gibson Les Paul Classic (Heritage Cherry Sunb.) - and this guitar is of absolutely outstanding high quality - like Gibsons in the very old days used to be. Also - my friend has bought a brand new Gibson LP Standard 2022 in Tobacco Sunburst - which is also of the very same high build quality. My guitars is bought in Germany (Thomann) and his in DK (Dan Guitar). It's absolutely everything from wood selection to bindings, fretboard standard and of course finish - everything is absolutely fine. I do own a couple of other Gibsons - a Cherry 335 from 2002, and a Wine Read Les Paul Studio from 2007 - but none of those two nowhere match the two new ones. PS I'm in Denmark and not affiliated it any ways with Gibson. I also have bunches of Fenders and a Rick... <3

Yes the most certainly have. I think about 2019 was the noticeable jump in quality for me. It’s much easier to “run the racks” now. In the past 3 years I have played over 50 Gibson guitars at various shops and all but two I would have no problem owning. One was a Slash model that cramped my hand(who knows what that was about) and the other was an SG that had poor scraping on the binding.

Honestly though, I think most manufacturers from imports to super boutique makers have raised their game. It’s a great time to be a guitar player!!

I had the opposite experience. Bought an SG Special in Nov. 2022 and the neck was set in the body twisted enough to wear the bridge looked like this to get a decent action:
08C7E112-B1AF-4706-96CE-FEC9CD7688F0.jpeg

At a price point like Gibson's, it should be expected. To have your quality regularly come into question as guitars at 1/3 the cost are routinely praised us not a good look. I haven't played a new Gibson in a while, but it's nice to hear they are putting some effort into QC.

Last weekend I tried out a Custom Shop LP for around 6000 € and the wiring of the PUs was upside down, with the switch on "Treble" the neck PU was on and vice versa. Maybe the employee forgot he was holding a lefty model when doing the wires. :D

Apart from that it was a great guitar.

Last year I compared some recent standard LPs with my LP from 2007. They were nice, but I didn't really notice a huge difference in quality, except the fretwork seemed to be better than mine when I bought it.

My experience isn't remarkably different one way or the other, same as its ever been. Each one is its own bag and some are better than others. I played a 2022 CS LPC that was one of the worst guitars I've ever picked up in my life. Conversely a USA LP Trad was great. I think Gibson gets beat up more than they should but the reputation isn't completely without merit either. Try before you buy whenever you can.

Did you know that the quality of a company’s work is not contingent on the one or two individual experiences one forum poster has with that company, and thus suppositions like “everyone knows that Gibson’s quality was bad until I happened to come along, play and enjoy one…what changed?!” are ludicrous and indications of the “I’m the very center of the universe” worldview prevalent in this and like forums?

Most people here do not know this.

Did you know that the quality of a company’s work is not contingent on the one or two individual experiences one forum poster has with that company, and thus suppositions like “everyone knows that Gibson’s quality was bad until I happened to come along, play and enjoy one…what changed?!” are ludicrous and indications of the “I’m the very center of the universe” worldview prevalent in this and like forums?

Most people here do not know this.

/thread on post #10

My 2020 '50s standard was a better-built guitar than my 2013 Traditional - not by a huge margin, but better neck angle, better nut, better/smoother fingerboard wood.

Going further back to 2009 I recall trying out some chambered Standards and was thoroughly unimpressed by the frets, which at the top end of the f/board were levelled but barely crowned, if crowned at all - horrible. Also sloppy finish around the bottom of the neck, and I'm not talking minor stuff here - really nasty buildup on the edge of the fingerboard. I decided to pass on Gibson at that point.

Got a 2020 R9 now - excellent guitar in every respect.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom