Gibson Historic/Custom Shop Les Paul with P-90's

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SFT, May 5, 2015.

1. SFT

SFT Member

I haven't paid attention to Gibson guitars since I got my 1988 Les Paul Custom Lite, which I absolutely love. But I really want a Les Paul with P-90's and could use some advice. I heard Gibson quality has been suspect over the years, so I'm willing to buy a Custom Shop or Historic, but even then I need some help picking what years to look at. What is a "True Historic"? I heard the '56 reissues were supposed to be good? Not sure about the neck types, but I think my Custom Lite has a 60's neck, which is most comfortable to me.

Budget is up to ~$5k, and willing to buy used, but really looking for the highest quality possible, and a 50's-60's style guitar.
    This one looks interesting, but I don't know anything about the "Featherweight" series. http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/products/64038.php?CategoryID=448&n=44#

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  2. somedude

somedude Member

A marketing term.

Every year Gibson has to change something so that everyone that already owns one will jones for the newest version, and anyone that doesn't buy in will spend eternity trying to convince everyone else why the year their guitar was built was superior to all other years.

I have a '56 RI and it's f*cking awesome. Pick one you like and play it until you're dead.

3. SFT

SFT Member

Was there a time when Historic Les Pauls were actually legit? 80's? 90's? 00's? Should I be looking for a particular time period or am I stuck with hoping for the 2015 "True Historic" models for the "real deal?"

4. ahab

ahab Member

I have a '56 RI well, and it really is the best sounding guitar I have every owned. I'm really just seconding what somedude has just written. Find one that you like and play the heck out of it. Forget years, in my opinion there really are not "better years." Just play a bunch until you find one with the sound and feel that is right for you. Buy that one and ignore the categorizing that so often happens in online discussions. Just my opinion...

5. jimpridx

jimpridx Supporting Member

The CS Historics are great guitars! For the most part, you can't go wrong with them. However, the Wildwood LP you're looking at has a '50s rounded neck, so it'll be much fatter than the 60s neck you're accustomed to playing. You might want to play a few to get a feel for them before ordering online.

6. murkat

murkat I like sea otters Silver Supporting Member

If you can find a 2007 (excellent year for mahogany) Historic R6, you be in P90 heaven.

7. tdarian

tdarian Gold Supporting Member

This is a 2007 R6 that I found last year. It is a remarkable guitar and I'd consider another 2007 CS LP based upon my experience with this.

[​IMG]

You'll see Goldtops pop up and occasionally a Darkburst like the one above. Regarding the 2007 R6s, the necks are probably going to run quite a bit thicker than you are looking for...mine is .925 @1st fret and just over 1 @12th and that is good for me but not at all a 60s neck.

BTW, with your stated budget...a real vintage 50s LP Junior or something along those lines is not far off the mark depending upon the tones you want.

8. guitarnut_1

guitarnut_1 Member

9. RJLII

RJLII Member

tdarian beat me to the punch. Here's my '07 R6. It was a very good year. I have an '07 R8 too and it's stellar. That said, I've played a number of R6 Goldtops and all sounded great.

[​IMG]

10. Pax

Pax Gold Supporting Member

While they are great guitars, most of these suggestion (probably all of them) will not get you the neck size you are looking for, which is important to pay attention to if you want to be satisfied with the guitar.

The only historic LP I know of that will get you the neck you requested is a 1960 Reissue. Commonly referred to as a G0 or R0. Not sure if they ever produced them with P90s.

11. serial

serial Member

Murkat knows. Considering he was making them back then. My 07 Historic SG/LP sounds fantastic.
    [​IMG]

12. Schweezly

Schweezly Member

Yea, you're going to have a hard time finding an LP with a 60's neck and p-90's.

If you're interested you should check out the Historic LP Special's. They were a '60 reissue, neck will be similar to what you like and they have the great p90 tone. Not to mention, used ones can be had at 1/3-1/2 of what you mentioned.

I picked one up recently and it's a lovely guitar. I'd consider moving it but it'll be probably too beat up for what you're looking for.

Anyways, best of luck. I'd love to get a r6/7 gold top with p90s someday.

13. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

They've got pretty fat necks, but my Custom shop LP Special is an insane sounding/playing P90 guitar.

[​IMG]

14. Schweezly

Schweezly Member

Yep, like I mentioned above...the double cut version has the slim neck.

15. jimpridx

16. Bluewail

Bluewail Silver Supporting Member

The CR6's have smaller necks. Chambered so lighter and a different tone than an R6.

17. Ron

Ron Supporting Member

Look into a '54 or '56 reissue LP Goldtop with P90s. The difference is whether you like the sound and playability of a wraptail bridge or a bridge and stoptail. The difference in tone will be evident.

A third suggestion would be a reissue '54 Les Paul Custom. It's very similar to the '54 Goldtop but has an all-mahogony body, which will give it a different tone with P90s. The '54 and '56 Goldtops have maple caps.

The Custom Shop Historics are reportedly not chambered or weight relieved (unless noted by the model number, like CR8). With a $5k budget and one guitar to buy, I would go with an Historic R4C, R4GT, or R6GT.

18. jimpridx

As long as we're talkin' CR reissues, here's my '07 CR4. It has a fat neck, but it's the sweetest-sounding P90-equipped guitar I've ever played, and I've owned a bunch:

[​IMG]

19. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Supporting Member

Historic P-90's are the business!

[​IMG]

If you want a thinner neck, check out the R4 GT. Brazilian boards are pre-'05 IIRC and my R6 is an '03 - great guitar.

I went from paper thin necks in the 80's to baseball bat sized necks once I started buying these; it wasn't a difficult transition and I have short fingers as well. Playing thin necked guitars now (or .009's) is like getting a very weak / limp handshake...it's like "ewwwwwww....."
    Of course, I'm not doing the wide Holdsworth / Van Halen stretches anymore so maybe that's part of it.

20. ssdeluxe

ssdeluxe Member

this is the sensible advice +1 , just because some of the new ones have "hyde glue", correct this and that certainly doesn't make the whole of the guitar's voice any better previous ones....Keep an open mind and see where you gravitate !