Gibson Historic P90s

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Figaro, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Are the soapbar P90s that come in Gibson Historic guitars (R4 and R6) different than P90s in regular Gibsons?

And what output do they measure? Any differences between different years?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  2. stratter

stratter Member

I believe that most historic guitars have hum buckers, so they're custom wound for them. I believe P-90's are the same way. I think regular P-90 guitars just use some stock P-90's but the historics are custom wound to match the kind that that year had.

3. dazco

dazco Member

I called gibson once about this and true or not i was told they only make one P90 that goes into everything.

4. e???

e??? Member

I think they are different, cause lately I've been looking into Memphis 330's and 295's and some have weird stuff like a3 magnets in the neck and a2 magnets in the bridge. Pretty sure that's not what's in the melody makers or the specials. Don't know much about historics though...

5. saf_1

saf_1 Member

I can't answer this definitively, although I have owned a couple of R6's (still own one). I have wondered about this myself - and I will say that the Historic P-90's look (to me anyway) like they are made like the originals. Just replaced the ones in my current R6, and when I took the covers off, noted the fiber bobbin - instead of plastic like the newer ones. Not sure they are wound the same either (as the "standard" Gibson P-90's) as ar as output, or use the same guage wire. That being said, I've never seen Gibson marketing any of their P-90's as "Historics" - inferring that they were made differently than any of their other pickups - like they do with the Burstbuckers, Classics, etc. And if they could make an extra buck off selling Historic P-90's as something different or more authentic than the standard P-90's, I guarantee they would! So maybe they ARE all the same.

6. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

AFAIK, modern Gibson P90's are all the same. The old ones came in different values though. I did have a triple set that I bought cheap maybe 8 years ago, I ended up selling them to someone cheap.... only to find that they may have been fairly rare. The seller I bought them from indicated they were recent...They were for a triple P90 Gibson... forget the model. The neck pickup was something like 6.2 ohms. Now I wonder if they were vintage....ARGHHH
    The modern Gibson P90s run between 7-8 ohms if I remember right. 7.8?
    I th inbk maybe the triple P90 hollow was an ES-5 or something like that.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  7. dazco

dazco Member

yeah, about that. I think mine (2011 Lp Jr special) were 7.9 and 8.1 if i recall. Or very close to that

8. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Supporting Member

The Alnico that's in my R4 BB Custom isn't in anything else so...

9. Kostas

Kostas Member

The P90's on the recent Memphis ES-330 '59 RI (according to their site) are underwound Alnico II.

10. goodwater

goodwater Member

I believe that most Gibson P90s are the same unless otherwise specified

11. g-mane

g-mane Member

That Alnico "Staple" pickup is a model 480.

12. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

I don't know why they would lie about that. If I was making a special pickup for my more expensive guitars, I'd sure as heck let everyone know.

But there is at least on example of a guitar that Gibson seems to be saying as having a special P90. The Memphis 1959 ES 225 they describe on their website as having "A pair of period-correct Memphis Historic Spec P-90 pickups induce all the warmth, growl and sizzle that players have come to love from these legendary fat single-coil pickups." So it isn't completely clear.

13. dazco

dazco Member

Well, note that when i called it was probably a year ago. And as much as gibson seems to change things from minute to minute lately could be thats outdated info.

14. gibsonES330

gibsonES330 Member

Mike Voltz talks a little about the revamped 2013 59RI 330s having new, underwound "Memphis P90's" (and I recall him saying in some other video that they used a different baseplate for these, too)...go to around the 00:58 mark:

15. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

I think this version of the 225 goes back that far.

Hey, I have one! Didn't really know that about the pickups. I just knew it sounds great.

I do think that the R4s and R6s have in the past at least have had the standard Gibson P90s, but don't claim to know for sure.

16. smcgov

smcgov Member

I believe Gibson makes one P90.... I could be wrong, but I never hear custom associated with Gibson pups like Fender does.

17. Zuhzuhzombie!!

Zuhzuhzombie!! Member

Definitely not.

The P90 in the 330L reissue is way hotter than the P90 in the 330 59' reissue.

They had a special run of tappable p90s for the Les Paul in 2013.