Gibson Historic pricing at Guitar Center

pete692

Silver Supporting Member
Looking seriously at a new R7 here locally. Tagged for around 4700. What kind of movement are they allowed on that? Is it worth my time to trade a Very Good condition 2011 '76 Explorer towards it?

T92780

Gold Supporting Member
I'd never buy a high end guitar at GC, if not only because I could get 20-30% off "and" no sales tax if I hunt patiently online at authorized boutique out of state dealer websites.

If local, then you know exact price, why say tagged "around" $4,700.00? Spill the beans on exact asking/tagged cost before tax.

Good luck.

pete692

Silver Supporting Member
I'd never buy a high end guitar at GC, if not only because I could get 20-30% off "and" no sales tax if I hunt patiently online at authorized boutique out of state dealer websites.

If local, then you know exact price, why say tagged "around" $4,700.00? Spill the beans on exact asking/tagged cost before tax.

Good luck.
4699.00, the problem is I played it and held it, and I know I really dig it, pups, frets and all. I’ve bought an R7 online in the past and I never really bonded with it.

So, in your opinion, the tag is what I’ll be paying?

Reactions: C-4

Buck Woodson

Silver Supporting Member
I've bought 3 custom shop Les Pauls, all used, saved thousands vs. buying new. 2 were from individuals. One was a member here. I love them all.

I've played some new custom shop Les Pauls. To be sure, they were great but not worth the cost difference. I wonder who buys these new.

jvin248

I'd avoid them just because of the weak headstocks. Too much drama. So many sturdier and well playing HH models out there.

Tim Plains

Some people say GC doesn't haggle, others say they have gotten great deals, how can anyone here say with any certainty what this GC would sell this guitar to you for?

Speak with the manager privately, offer him $3,500, show him the cash, and only go up a few hundred if he does negotiate, be prepared to walk out if he doesn't.

Sell the Explorer separately.

Jim Roseberry

Silver Supporting Member
I bought a R9 from the local GC.
It was an excellent guitar... and I got it for ~$5k.
Gibson Custom LP Historics are (IME) significantly better guitars than LP Standards.

Jim Roseberry

Silver Supporting Member
If GC already has the guitar marked down significantly, there's not going to be a lot of wiggle-room.

Robotechnology

Gold Supporting Member
GC has no problems matching deals/coupons. Just find a 15-20% deal from ANY music store in the USA that is also a Gibson dealer and get them to match it.

Bullseye092

Silver Supporting Member
I would definitely sell the explorer on your own, you’re going to get 50 to 60% of the used value that they go for on eBay and reverb on trade-in, however the perk of that is that you won’t have to worry about somebody trying to return it after they beat the crap out of it six months later as not as advertised. As far as haggling, it’s hit or miss. I’ve dealt with a couple of them that would haggle, and some of them would not budge a penny with a big stack of cash in my hand in front of them. However, if it won’t cause you distress down the road knowing you could’ve saved a couple thousand dollars by buying a used one at a different point in time, then go for it. You get one shot at things, and as we all know, there is something intimate about the bond with a certain instrument. To me? It’s worth spending a little extra.

MikeMcK

Gold Supporting Member
I would definitely sell the explorer on your own, you’re going to get 50 to 60% of the used value that they go for on eBay and reverb on trade-in, however the perk of that is that you won’t have to worry about somebody trying to return it after they beat the crap out of it six months later as not as advertised. As far as haggling, it’s hit or miss. I’ve dealt with a couple of them that would haggle, and some of them would not budge a penny with a big stack of cash in my hand in front of them. However, if it won’t cause you distress down the road knowing you could’ve saved a couple thousand dollars by buying a used one at a different point in time, then go for it. You get one shot at things, and as we all know, there is something intimate about the bond with a certain instrument. To me? It’s worth spending a little extra.
I agree on selling the Explorer rather than trading it in. And even though I'm a cheapskate most of the time, there's a big difference between buying a random R7 and one that you've played and liked. If it's a pedal or even a mass market amp, I'll go looking for the most reasonable price, but guitars (especially Les Pauls) are different.

You can play two "identical" Les Pauls that feel and sound entirely different. When you get one that seems right, it makes sense to think of the value (to you) of that guitar rather than one of that year & model.

Some people say GC doesn't haggle, others say they have gotten great deals, how can anyone here say with any certainty what this GC would sell this guitar to you for?

Speak with the manager privately, offer him $3,500, show him the cash, and only go up a few hundred if he does negotiate, be prepared to walk out if he doesn't.

COYS

used Historics often have ridiculously high asking prices, but end up selling for far less.

COYS

Why would the shift manager of a big box retailer care if you are paying Guitar Center with Visa or with $100 bills, beyond the 2-3% that Visa will charge the corporate entity for which he works?

VintagePlayerStrat

Silver Supporting Member
What the heck are you on about? If a man wants a Les Paul, he wants a Les Paul. Headstock be damned.
You sir, are correct. : )

Give a haggle a try. Don't let on you really dig the guitar, poker face it.

4.7k is steep, unless it's something like a Murphy, don't pay that. Sell your Explorer yourself. Better deal for you.

T92780

Gold Supporting Member

If you can get "at least" 25% off, then a fair deal. Often, they'll do 15% with no hesitation, but then you throw on sales tax and not much value. Goal for anyone buying high-end new guitars is to get price down as close as possible to what same year used pricing is.

Trending Topics