Gibson Historic Question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by redplexi, Jun 13, 2006.

1. redplexi

redplexi Member

Can anyone tell me, Beside Cosmetics and Price. What are the Differences between a Regular Les Paul Standard w/50's Neck, and a Les Paul Historic.

From a Machining and Financial Standpoit, wouldn't it be a waste of Gibsons Time and Money to Route and Machine Les Paul's Differently.

Please Help.

2. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

Right off the top o my head
    Historic:
    Not weight relieved
    Long neck tenon
    ABR-1 bridge
    Cts pots and bumblebee caps
    Generally use a little better wood as well I believe

Could be more

3. scottlr

scottlr Member

According the Les Paul book I have, the high middle part of the carved top on the vintage LPs was pretty much flat. The pictures of the vintage ones in the book show the pup rings having no/little curve. My LP Standard 50s neck, has a rounded top middle section, and the pup rings curve to show this very clearly.

While we are on the subject, I am happy with the pups in my LP, but i wonder what the CTS pots and bumblebee caps would do for me? Anyone?

4. GuffMorgan

GuffMorgan Supporting Member

I can't do an exact comparison on pots and caps, but I had an SG Standard and I then bought a VOS SG (with CTS and Bees). The guitar seemed less congested, more open, if that makes sense. Kind of like a guy that's 4 feet tall and a guy that 7 feet tall running side by side, the short guy is having to put out a lot more effort to even try and keep pace with the tall guy who's just doing it all in stride.

... if that anology doesn't make sense, then just picture it and chuckle anyways.

5. scottlr

scottlr Member

being 5'7" I can relate to the 2 guys anyway LOL I have never opened my 61 RI SG. I wonder what it has? I'll have a look later. Thanks for the info.

6. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

This pretty much nails the physical differences, other than a somewhat reasonable effort to build the historics to the same specifications as the originals.

In general most people like the Historic models better.

As to the waste of money to make different LP models, most of us have wondered the same thing, but it is as much a marketing thing as it is a physical difference.

The historics are supposed to be as close as possible to the 50s guitars, how close is debatable. The part of the neck that inserts into the body (the tenon) is longer on these guitars. Some people think the long neck tenon contributes significantly to the usually superior tone of the historics. The production of the historics is done in the smaller custom shop and is somewhat limited. They allegedly have more handwork involved than the standards.

The regular standards are today's mass produced version of the LP. The mahogany used is heavier than that used in the historics so Gibson cuts holes in it to reduce the weight. The holes are hidden by the maple cap and Gibson claims it makes no tonal difference.

I suspect that a big part of the issue is that there isn't enough high quality mahogany and other woods to support making all of their LPs at the level of the historics without even higher prices than what Gibson already charges. And not everyone who wants an LP wants it to be so close to the 50s LPs.

Go to www.lespaulforum.com and use the search function to do some more digging. Lots of good info there.

:)

7. JoeYello

JoeYello Member

The historics use nitro laquer, not sure the standards do.

8. scottlr

scottlr Member

Yes, I am pretty sure they do. My case smelled like nitro big time. overpoweringly sweet smell, same with the SG 61 RI.

9. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Supporting Member

The necks are also pleckd......wonderful feel and playability.

10. GuffMorgan

GuffMorgan Supporting Member

Aluminum tailpiece (where applicable, obviously the ones with maestros aren't going to have one)

11. Johnnytone

Johnnytone Supporting Member

I'll just add

Holly headstock veneer
    more accurate peghead shape
    smaller frets
    thinner (aged) neck binding/smaller fret-end "nibs"
    thinner (aged) body binding
    more accurate body shape (productions "horn" is "stubbier")
    thinner plastic
    pickguard stamped and not molded
    taller pickup rings
    shallower neck angle
    inlays have pointed corners (productions are now rounded)
    inlay material
    flatter top carve
    no plasticizer in the Nitro