Gibson Historic Series pickup rings

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by lightningsmith, Mar 3, 2008.

1. lightningsmith

lightningsmith Member

2. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

IIRC the rings in the Historic package are larger (taller) than the regular non-historic ring. Is it worth $30 for a taller ring..... hell no. But if you need it to look right its either shell out the cabbage or find an aftermarket one that's the correct height.

Historic: 1/4" neck, 1/2" bridge

Regular: 1/8" neck 3/8" bridge

3. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

Will historic rings fit right on a non-historic?

4. Johnnytone

Johnnytone Supporting Member

They SHOULD fit fine, but the Production Standards have a more pronounced carve to the top. Tighten the screws a little at a time so you don't break the ring or snap the screw.

I have put them on Standards and Classics adn Studios with no problems but HAVE read of others having trouble.

5. justonwo

justonwo Member

Probably depends on your neck angle, too. If you have a shallow angle, the ring might come close to the strings.

6. Johnnytone

Johnnytone Supporting Member

I don't think you'll find a production guitar with a shallow neck angle. Just the opposite.

7. justonwo

justonwo Member

Usually that's true.

8. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

i actually took the historic rings off of my 58 RI in favor of standard gibson rings. the historic rings are so tall that the pickup spring has very little pressure on it, making for a loosely mounted pickup. this may be why gibson went away from that particular spec over the decades.

if you're dead set on the historic rings, hitting them gently with a hair dryer just before putting them on the guitar will let the plastic bend over the deeper carve more easily.

9. MikeB_18

MikeB_18 Member

Historic rings will fit on a Standard production Les Paul without issue. The bridge ring is taller and the color of the plastic is more white than pink like the USA rings.

The Historic humbucker pickguard will not fit on a USA model. The pickups are spaced a little differently on a Historic. If you want to put on a Historic guard buy a P-90 guard and cut it to fit.

Here's my '91 Standard with the Historic rings and guard on it.

[​IMG]

10. scottlr

scottlr Member

It seems to me that the Historics have a flatter top than standard production. My Standard's rings have a very pronounced curve to the bottom, while all pics of the real deal in The Beauty of the Burst show the bottoms of the rings are almost flat. We don't have many Historics around here, so I have only seen a couple, but that flatter top is very noticeable to my eye. I don't think Historic rings would look right on my Standard.