Gibson... I forgive you. (NGD)

FuzzMuff

Dear Gibson,

I loved you since I was a kid and was a collector of Gibsons from vintage to new, but I sold every single one of them off in disgust and vowed I'd never own one again after multiple quality issues I had personally with high end Gibsons I had bought (and the authentic video didn't help). Multiple custom shop Gibsons were nowhere near PRS core build quality, in spite of being 2-3x the price. You lost me and I swore I'd never be back unless huge changes were made. I dare even say I stooped to hater status for a time.

But fast forward to January 2022 and I just bought an R9 gloss that I couldn't look away from day after day online. I rolled the dice on it after getting closeup photos from the dealer and I've got to say... Gibson is back baby! Yeeeeaaahhhh!!!!

This thing is so unbelievably well made, I am in complete awe. Sustain is for days. It is laser straight. Action is very low and Frets are as level as anything I've ever owned - zero fret buzz. Every glue joint is visually perfect. Every place 2 kinds of wood meet is a perfect seam. Tuners are straight. Neck and binding have no weird defects. Fretboard is dark and uniform. The pickups are so good, I'm not replacing them even though I planned on it before I even received the guitar. I'm spending more time on the neck than bridge which I'd seldom done before on a LP. At exactly 9lbs, it's neither a light or heavy weight but I wouldn't change it 1 ounce. This is a boutique quality, true custom shop, life-long instrument.

I am now a Gibson owner again with not just that R9, I also just got a '57 CS LP Special single cut in TV yellow that is a featherweight P90 beast with a dark rw board. Amazing.

bIW2mmY.jpeg

Well, Gibson...

Gibson Did It.png

Thank you.

Vistavette

OP: Does it have any static? I bought a new 2020 Standard 60's that sounded great but had tons of static. Gibson replaced it; and its better... a lot better, but still has some static when I run my hand up/down the neck

FuzzMuff

OP: Does it have any static? I bought a new 2020 Standard 60's that sounded great but had tons of static. Gibson replaced it; and its better... a lot better, but still has some static when I run my hand up/down the neck

No static or other issues at all. I've played it daily for 2 weeks.

slevin011

Great looking R9, but that Special...wow. I've been GAS-ing for an SG Special or Junior lately but that TV yellow...yeah I'm gonna need to reevaluate.

edgewound

My visit to the Gibson NAMM 2020 booth and discussion of the new leadership with a Custom Shop luthier on the floor, indicated great things were happening post Henry J. The quality of the display guitars was evidence.

steven turner

It's a custom shop, so odds are it's great. Very nice guitar. I have not any luck with production line Gibsons at all lately, so I am somewhat envious, and frustrated by all the Gibson NGD 'oh this is awesome'

Jedi

Congrats! It’s a great time to be a guitar player. We are living during an incredibly fruitful period for not only Gibson but Fender and Martin to name a few. I really love that CS LP Special. I played one some time ago and it still haunts me.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom