Gibson innovates!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Tone_Terrific, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I'm probably late to the party but I have noted that, as dated as Gibson products generally are, there have been some new ones/variations that look like genuine improvements, or at least movement.
    http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson USA/Products/GOTM/LesPaulPush-tone/
    +Schon
    +Axcess
    +robot
    +digital
    + 339

and I would put the Johnny A in the non-trad list as well.
    Any more?
    All too expensive, for me, and none would be 'perfect,' so I'll try to ignore any development of gear lust.:nono

2. JoeNewbie

JoeNewbie Member

Other than the 339, everything else is pretty much terrible, terrible ideas. Hopefully these crappy robots and other "new" ideas will be dropped very soon.

3. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

Not a fan of the Floyd Rose, but the Axcess and the Schon actually address 50 year old design problems with the Les Paul, like the neck joint, for instance.

4. ugacrow

ugacrow Member

What's the deal with these "push" pickups? Are we talking Dan Armstrong-like technology on a Gibby? Anyone ever tried 'em?

5. Bankston

Bankston Member

My next guitar will be an LP Axcess. Great design and a Floyd-equipped LP is about 25 years overdue.

6. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Senior Member

Gibson has sent out unfinished, 2nd/reject looking Les Pauls before to Gibson dealers with the pickup areas routed through the body and a set of pickups attached to wood blocks, so you can pop them in quickly to test out Gibson pickups in the store. I've seen one or more for sale on ebay before. It was just for customers to try out pickups in the store, the guitar itself wasn't for sale.

7. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

+1. All of Gibson's recent ideas seem like gimmicks, as their lack of longevity shows. They seem to have some better ideas in the acoustic department, though.

8. MetalGuitard

MetalGuitard Member

What have they innovated in the last 50 years? It seems to me, and I'm no Gibson expert by any means, that their core line up of electric solidbody guitars hasn't evolved hardly at all in the 50 years since thy were created.

The V, Explorer, SG, LP, ES series, etc have hardly changed at all. Gibson just now came out with a Floyd equipped guitar, about 15 years too late. The reverse V and reverse Explorer are pretty Guitarded IMO. What kind of innovation is that? It's a gimmick. They couldn't even come up with something new so they made the same stuff backwards. How about the Zakk Wylde ZV ? Hideous IMO. Again, nothing new, just a two halves of two existing models. I'm sure some will argue the Robot guitar or the Digital Output model but did they invent the technology for either? I doubt it. I'm suprised they even mdae it though. I think Fender was wie to buy Jackso n. They can keep making the same ole Strats and Teles and experiment like crazy with a different name on their freak models. As much as I'm not a fan of Gibsons in general their stature in the music world obviously makes me a minority and them a 'tried and tested' favorite. I'll always love them for the V and Explorer but otherwise, they're Old Yeller at the end of the movie to me.

I'm sure most of you will hate me for this post. I'm ok with that. I'm an a-hole and I'm entitled to be one now and again per the 1st Amendment... until it's revised next year anyway.

9. JoeNewbie

JoeNewbie Member

Seriously, a Floyd Rose on a Les Paul looks like crap. Even Neil Schon himself probably thinks the same when he sees himself on TV.

10. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

+1 on the 339 being a good idea. an semi-hollow for smaller bodies makes a lot of sense. people are growing smaller, as we all know.

11. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

While it is nice that they do some of this stuff, every other builder and their mom has already done all of these things 15 years ago.

12. flyingvees

flyingvees Member

Funny enough I bought one of these from a store in South Florida for about 600 bucks in trade. Then I get a phone call from a Gibson rep stating that I was in possession of a stolen guitar as it didnt belong to the store...In short I got my stuff back but it was a whole messy ordeal...Oh yeah the guitar was okay but I got like 10 sets of pickups with it so that was cool...

13. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Not all true, but certainly some ideas are addressing some old flaws. And that becomes a bad thing because it is late?

The pop-in pup guitar is real. Saw one on the dealer's wall. No Fenders like that.
    The Robo is definitely a new thing in the commercial market.
    The Schon/Axcess addresses a lot of players' demands, whether it's you or not.
    The 339 seems to universally loved and the JA, although rare, invariably respected.
    Digi- aiming at a market niche largely ignored by the competition, hardly to be scorned.

14. Bill Brasky

They've tried to introduce new models, such as:

WCR
    Blueshawk
    Corvus
    RD Artist/Custom
    Vegas
    Del Ray
    M-III

and others, but they bomb because people just want LP/V/Exp/SG etc. It's not Gibson's fault. It's not like they haven't tried over the years. How many times should they get burned by trying to introduce new models that no one seems to want? They can't afford to just throw millions of dollars away on products that are likely to fail because guitar players reject anything new/non-vintage.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  15. phantasm

phantasm Member

The Corvus was the ugliest guitar ever put on the market. I'm not even sure how or why it made it's way out the door.
    First thing i did when i saw one was laugh my ass off- same goes for the reverse V.
    Horrible horrible ideas...and i LOVE stupid things!

I like the Floyd Les pauls- but they are pretty late on that.

16. Bill Brasky

Not really, they sold Les Pauls, Explorers, V's with Kahlers and maybe Floyd Roses back during the 80's. It's not really new. They just haven't sold them like that for a long while.

17. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

It's a bit of their own doing as well. They've marketed their classic models in such a way that they have painted themselves into the corner. They endorse *a lot* of people, for one, and they give signature models to just about anyone. The Les Paul is their cash cow, so they have to protect that market.

They're in the position that if they want to innovate, they have to use their classic models (or at least their classic aesthetic) as a base or else they could be rejected.

A Robot Les Paul is still a Les Paul, for instance.

While the Robot and the Digital models are innovative, they're not really innovations that the average player would be looking for. Sure it's cool to have a self tuning guitar, but not at the expense of just about anything else.
    The Digital is more of a WTF curiosity.. an Ethernet port in a guitar? Will I have to run a server daemon on my amp?

Now, lack of upper fret access is a problem. Many luthiers have solved that in LP style guitars over the years. It's about friggin time Gibson did it. For a lot of people, it's very important that the guitar says Gibson Les Paul on it. Now they can get upper fret access and the Gibson name on a Les Paul, even though they could have gotten the same thing from other people for a better price.

Same with the 339. Smaller 335 types have been done before as well, but this is the first one to say Gibson 33something on it.

18. auraelux

auraelux Member

OMG look at that msrp! Why?!

19. SGNick

SGNick Member

The Robot is one thing I'm truly interested in. Purists be damned.

20. Flinto2002

Flinto2002 Senior Member

Yeah dude....a floyd equipped LP (Schon)with an all access neck joint is a terrible idea..:dunno

The Johnny A is actually a pretty cool guitar.

I think that just because YOU don't dig it, doesn't mean it's a **** idea....except in the case of the guitar of the month....most of those were retarded. oh ****, now i sound just like you.:tapedshut