1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Gibson J-45?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by chimaera1982, Feb 17, 2009.

1. chimaera1982

chimaera1982 Member

Hi All

Ive been an electric player for most of my guitar playing days, and now want to get one acoustic that will be a keeper. I play mix of rock/pop/blues/country. Tried several guitars including Taylors, Martin and Gibson. I am thinking of getting the Gibson J-45 or the Gibson SJ-200. I guess am more inclined to the J-45 as its more affordable and is smaller sized. Any comments on the J-45, its the modern classic version.

Regards

2. Timinator

Timinator Supporting Member

My buddy has an EC20 I think it is. It's the guitar model before they called it the J-45. Bit of an arched back on it. It's a real nice playing and sounding guitar. No faults at all. I play either a Gibson Songwriter cutaway or Alvarez DY62C. I too have been through all the Martins and Taylors. I could never find "the one" with them either. I think you'll be real happy with a J-45.

3. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

The J-45 Modern Classic has a Martin-like top bracing so ya might want to compare it to say a D-28 as the two share some characteristics as far as sound. The J-45 True Vintage is structurally a fairly different guitar than the MC so if ya have the opportunity to try one out it might be worth your while just for a frame of reference.

I always recommend anybody looking at newer Gibsons try out the AJ. For my 2 cents, it is the best out of the box acoustic coming out of Bozeman.

Just be careful, consistency is not one of Gibson's strongest traits. Ya may have to go through a few before you find "the one." Buyng a Gibson acoustic sight unseen is a crap shoot at best.

4. KissTone

KissTone Supporting Member

I have a Sheryl Crow---like a plain Hummingbird. It's a wonderful guitar. I too like the AJ and probably would consider that if I ever find myself in market for another acoustic (of course those j-200's turn my head every time . . .)

The Bozeman Gibsons are fantastic instruments. But I don't think consistancy of workmanship is the issue---it's just variations in the instruments themselves due to myriad factors affecting acoustic instruments. Acoustics are far more likely to varry tone-wise (than their solid body electric cousins) when timbers, strings, moisture, setup, hardware, etc. work in concert.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  5. westchesterdave

westchesterdave Member

I've always been a J-45 fan. I prefer the scale length to that of the AJ and the classic Gibson tone of Mahogany back and sides with the sitka top is, in my opinion, great for blues and country.

I play a Gibson Southern Jumbo which is pretty much a dressed up J-45 and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

6. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

I have a Modern Classic, which I really like, but when looking for mine, I found they were very inconsistent - I went through several that sounded pretty dead before finding one I liked.

The pick-up sounds great too.

One thing to be aware of in advance - the adhesive they use to attach the wiring and battery pack is useless and will need to be replaced. Nice ... open my case at a show and the battery pack and volume control are loose in the body. Easily fixed but an unnecessary frustration that Gibson should have taken care of IMO.

7. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Brother from another Mother-I agree.The AJ I bought last Labor Day is a total cannon,much better than the other 2 mentioned in this thread.I also agree that the latest acoustic offerings from Gibson should be looked at on a case by case basis-if you're looking at any acoustic,it's always the case.How did the '55 Epi sound on the gig this weekend?

8. Claytone

Claytone Member

I'm a fan of Gibson acoustics and old J-45s in particular. They have for years been undervalued considering old Martin prices. I was lucky enough to find a 1942 J45 (no truss rod - wartime) through Michael Jones in Colorado, a very knowledgable dealer in acoustic Gibsons. But I recently played a Collings CJ that rivaled my J45. A beautiful and elegant sounding guitar in the same voice as an old Gibson. Try one.

9. flyingvees

flyingvees Member

I own a 59 SJ that I just picked up and my Father owns a 42 skunk stripe j45 with original brass frets and no truss rod and its one of two that Gruhn has ever seen with the center stripe...I love these guitars and use them for any and all applications...:AOK

10. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

I love my new J45 (don't know if it's a Modern Classic or True Vintage). It's so controllable and has the most wonderful jangle to its sound.

11. mds

mds Member

Love J45/J50s. I have a '66 that is a wonderful guitar. They have such a great vibe...

12. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

For a Martin, I'd go for a D-28. For a Gibson, I'd go for a J45. I'd say the OP has the right idea.

13. Lammy

Lammy Member

The Advanced jumbo has a longer scale the the SJ and J45 right?

14. Stubee

Stubee Member

Yes, and it's typically louder. I've got an old J-45, old J-50 and have had quite a few others of the same. The AJ is kinda a different animal. I like both, play the AJ if I really want some power. In fact, I like it's tone throttled back, too, or about any other way I play it. But do love J-45s...

Just a matter of taste. I second the opinion: not all Gibsons sound "great", shop around, try some if you can.

15. henry_lee

henry_lee Member

The J-45 True Vintage is a superb guitar. I'd love to have a vintage J-45
    (pre-55) at some point. But in the meantime, this more than does job.

I used to own 4 Martins - 00-15, '75 D-18, D-28, HD-28V... all of which
    were stellar guitars. I sold them all after buying the J-45 TV.

If you're into writing songs, to me the J-45 TV does it all.
    Practically writes songs itself. I highly recommend trying a few.
    Mine slayed the AJ sitting right next to it... warm. percussive,
    with a bit of growl and the perfect top end. Can be sweet as can be
    when fingerpicking too.

So yeah, +1 on a J-45 here. Cured my GAS on many levels.

16. blaster

blaster Member

I just purchased a used one and love it. The sound is fantastic and it plays great. I tried many of J45 and this one spoke to me.

[​IMG]

17. henry_lee

henry_lee Member

sweeeeet! she's a beaut!

18. chimaera1982

chimaera1982 Member

Well, I bit the bullet and bought the J-45. Bought it second hand, beautiful from 2001. In Singapore there are not that many J-45 around so was quite lucky I got a good one. Very balanced and three dimensional sounding with a lot of depth. Need to change the strings comes with D'Addarios thats starting to sound kinda dead. Maybe elixirs will be good. A short question the preamps comes with the Fishman Naturals, heard it amplified it was pretty good my opinion was that it sounded like the tone of the guitar just louder. Any feedback on the stock pickups/preamps?

Thanks a lot guys..

19. guitarplayer

guitarplayer Member

I just purchased a J-45 and really like it. It's warm and balanced but not dull sounding. It also feels great to play. I wanted a guitar that would be different, and compliment my Taylor 810 which is pretty bright and sounding with a relatively flat response (compared to the Gibson). I considered buying a J-200 which I also liked. Again, the common thread here is to buy the guitar that "speaks" to you. I've played probably hundreds of guitars over the years in guitar shops and guitars I've owned. This particular J-45 felt and sounded right to me. Others I've played didn't speak to me the same way. Even though all J-45's are technically built to the same specs they're very individual just like people and some are great and some aren't so great. The same is true for any guitar brand/model you're considering. So bottom line - play a bunch and take your time and buy the one that you don't want to put down and that's your keeper! :)