Gibson J160E: John Lennon's favorite guitar??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rubbersoul, May 2, 2015.

1. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

Of course, I know, we can't know what his "favorite" guitar was, but he went through some guitar changes during the course of the Beatles. Not as many as George, but he played a few different ones.

The J160E, he played in the very beginning, all the way to at least the recording of Give Peace a Chance.

I just had never thought about it before, but that's a long time to stick with one model of guitar.

2. tamader74

tamader74 Supporting Member

He played a Yamaha LLX-56 for a long time (and thought he still had it at the time of his Murder). These are pretty rare (and quite expensive), they are based on the long running LLX-26 only the 56 IS handmade. I owned a Yamaha LLX-16 (which IS a LLX-26 only MIC, has a super nice SSHSC instead of the OHSC of the LLX-26...and according to the dealer $2500. cheaper than the LLX-26).

I love my LLX-16, the electronics were flat out outstanding (same as the higher end LLX's), But I was having way to many Medical issues to handle a Jumbo and it was very uncomfortable for me to play without a lot of pain due to my Lymphoma. (massive lumps all over my body, and under my armpits was unbearable at times).

I can now play my Dreads pretty comfortably, but would have ZERO issue owning another one once I can get back to handling Jumbos. Tom