Gibson Jimmy Page Les Paul Custom

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by blueroommusic, Feb 7, 2008.

1. blueroommusic

blueroommusic Supporting Member

This should be fun! OK looking for opinions on purchasing a Page Les Paul Custom to be released on the 15th. NOT THE DNA $25K version but the other 6K model with a bigsby.. Let the party begin!

2. rrhea

rrhea Member

It is actually a surprisingly good price. If I hadn't bought ****-tons of gear lately I'd have gotten one just to flip on the Bay for a small profit.

Of course, knowing me I'd have fallen in love with it and never sold it... like I do most of the time. ;)

If you can check it out first, I'd say buy it because it likely will be worth more than $6k someday.

RR

3. cacibi

cacibi Member

Wow - no offense - but I'm starting to feel like the world has gone bats*$t crazy with regard to gear prices, and guitar prices in particular.

I mean - it's a beautiful looking guitar and all - don't get me wrong, but I think Fender (specifically the Gretsch line) and Gibson are both ratcheting things up a bit much lately. It's starting to get to the point that I feel like retailers should expect to be negotiating with buyers - because if their gear is going to have used car prices - they should expect used car negotiations.

4. sqadan

sqadan Member

Agreed... Prices are out of control.... But some people will happily pay it. Until people stop shelling out the dough - prices will not stabilize.

5. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    Who would want a limited Jimmy Page Custom Les Paul with a Bigsby and custom wiring for 6k when you could put the $ in the stock market !
    Ha Ha Haaaaa

This Guitar is gonna go over like a Led Zeppelin
    best
    Groovey Records
    listening to Robert Gordon w/ Link Wray
    on Vinyl 4 real

6. rich2k4

rich2k4 Supporting Member

i bet you can buy a normal les paul custom, have a bigsby installed, and then do the pickup wiring yourself, and it will come out cheaper then the jimmy page.

the jimmy page version is nothing special.

7. indravayu

indravayu Senior Member

Ha, I am not alone! Of course, the world really _has_ gone crazy lately, and not just with gear prices.

- Chris

8. davess23

davess23 Member

High end guitars are costing more than ever these days...along with just about everything else.

But the good news is that now you can get really nice, good sounding, good playing well-made guitars for short money: the quality of entry level and mid-priced guitars nowadays is phenomenally high. The beginner or student can get lots, and I do mean lots more for the money now than ever before.

9. rrhea

rrhea Member

Well of course it is a ridiculous price, but not bad for Gibson. I mean, look at what some of the reissues have cost lately. I realize that this guitar isn't a hand realized replica guitar like Lenny or EHV's Frankenstein... but I am surprised they priced it a $6k. They could have easily asked more and people would pay it.

As far as investing, people who can afford gear like this also have money to (and do) invest in the stock market. ;) These are just toys that people who move gear a lot keep for a while, flip later (for a profit, if possible) and get the next thing (the money "pool" is not about wealth, it's about funding more gear purchases). It's all about collecting and trading. I've never been good at it since I want to keep everything I buy. :)

RR