Gibson Johnny A & Pat Martino models

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by TexGoneNW, Oct 15, 2012.

1. FredW

FredW Member

I have a Blonde Johnny A with a Bigsby and it is an amazing guitar. Very versatile and just a great instrument. I can get Gretsch sounds, screaming les paul type lead tones and really mellow jazzy stuff. I also think it looks killer as well.

2. Echoes

Echoes Senior Member

I have the Johnny A with Bigsby. I love the 25 1/2" scale length ... very comfortable and easy to play. The light weight, balance feel and tone are unmatched compared to anything else I have ever played... the stock 57' pickups work great in this guitar...an inspirational joy to play.

3. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Member

Now that's a gig I would have liked to have been at. Some serious guitar talent to have on one stage.

4. Lotis

Lotis Silver Supporting Member

I have JA269. I have had many vintage guitars and I love this box! Been playing it for 6 years or more. It can get all Fender spanky Gibson dark. Does it all for me.

5. Puckbucker

Puckbucker Member

I own a JA stoptail. As above notes said, wide tonal range (can get close to a tele, and do trad jazz). Very comfy and good looking guitar. Not as much sustain as a solid guitar but an echo/ delay helps.

The Pat Martino (Gibson model) is shaped like an ES 446s but has a maple top. Not sure if its semihollow or hollow. Beautiful but the one I played was heavy and muddy toned. However i think Lucidology on this site (great player) owns one and changed the pickups to make it sound great.

6. TexGoneNW

TexGoneNW Member

Sorry if I wasn't clear - was asking about the Gibson PM model, not the Benedetto. Nice guitar, though.

7. TexGoneNW

TexGoneNW Member

Does that mean that the sunburst Johnny A gets played more than the others?

Nice collection of hollowbodies - do you get around to playing them all?

8. Dashface

Dashface Member

My old guitar teacher - Canadian jazzer Pat Coleman - had one of the first Gibson PM guitars. I got to play it a bit. Played like any other high-end Gibson as far as I was concerned, though a bit stiff feeling. Cool guitar.

9. funkychicken70

funkychicken70 Member

hi
    I have a pat martino since several years (a 2000 model) and it's my main guitar.

I read too it's a dark guitar from a test on the jack zucker website, but i disagree. This guitar sounds a lot like a les paul, minus the fat mids and with more air. The sound is very good for jazz, but i mostly play rock and funk with it and the trebles are here. Bonus : it handles very well big distortions !!!

I disagree too with the lack of sustain. Mine sustains for days, better than most les paul i played :)huh) . Acoustic, it rings like a bell, with a bright sound.

It plays fast but due to compound radius and small frets, it's a bit difficult to play for me. but it's ok ... i like a little fight if it sounds good !

the guitar is faultless, with long neck tenon, and beautiful woods and finish. i will upgrade soon with new caps (very poor ceramic ones in it) and a faber abr kit, just for fun ...

hope it helps
    sorry for gramatical mystakes, i'm french ...

10. Danny W.

Danny W. Member

No.

Yes.

Danny W.

11. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Member

I've tried a Gibson Johnny A Standard and really liked it.

Since then, I've acquired an ES 330 and completely fell in love with hollowbodies, so, given the construction and the specifics for the Johnny A model, I'd buy one this instant if I had the money.

12. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

Lucidology has posted in a lot of threads about his Pat Martino Gibson. Here's a Youtube vid he posted playing the PM at a gig with his funk band

The stock Gibson '57 Classic pickups were replaced with Fralin Twangmasters.

13. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

That picture looks like it was a jazz communion service ....

:banana

14. davess23

davess23 Member

I'm the happy owner of JA #118, a stoptail. Got it here on the Emporium a couple of years ago. It's a great guitar. Long scale length, light weight, and it gets sweet tone from the 57's it comes with. Very versatile guitar, too. Listen to the range of stuff that Johnny A plays.

I love the inlays. And I wouldn't assume that hiring a luthier would guarantee me a better guitar than the JA. I've been aware of Gibson's erratic QA for a long time. Every one of the JA's I've played (not that many, but a few) was very nicely made. When the CS wants to, they can build as well as anyone.

15. dallasblues

dallasblues Member

Have you tried any of the Barney Kessel models that Gibson made? To be honest, the Johnny A looks to be just a variation of that guitar.

16. davess23

davess23 Member

Some similarity in looks, but JA is long scale, thin body, solid maple top. BK is, afaik, short scale, deep body, either solid or laminate sprice top.

17. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Member

Different geometry in the back as well and that's supposed to be a key structural characteristic of the JA credited with reducing feedback.

18. Dashface

Dashface Member

I love the looks of the Barney, but it seems to me that a Johnny A would be more versatile by a long shot... Certainly more usable in the every day.

A local shop has a Trini Lopez Custom (which is essentially a Barney Kessel with a Trini headstock) and I covet it so much. If it didn't have a really tiny neck I would've ponied up a long time ago.

19. Danny W.

Danny W. Member

While it has a similar shape, the JA construction is nothing like the Kessels

The Kessels were, in fact, 25.5" scale length.

Danny W.

20. TexGoneNW

TexGoneNW Member

I have to admit, one major consideration for me is the weight (lack of it) of the Johnny A.