Gibson Johnny A Undervalued?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jads57, Jan 5, 2008.

1. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

It seems strange that these guitars aren`t that popular. They seem to have everything going for them, figured tops, light weight,bigsby or stop tailpeice, 25&1/2" scale (Fender scale). How come more players have not bonded w/ these guitars? Maybe it will be like the original Les Pauls and take another 20 or so years for people to catch up w/ them.

2. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

I just put mine up for grabs. I love the dang thing, I really do. When I got it, I played it just to try as I was buying a LP. I literally had a dream about the JA, something that hasn't happened since I was a teen many years ago. So I had to go back and buy it.
    I just don't play it. I compared it to a few 335's and 336 and it just smoked them like crazy tonewise.

3. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Sounds like a catch 22 to me. It is inherently more attractive to gibson types. Set neck, hollow body, binding, etc... But Gibson types are uncomfortable with the fender scale length. If Gibson was curious they should offer it with the standard scale length. I have a feeling it would fly out the door...

4. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

It might fly out the door, but it wouldn't be the same guitar. As it is, I consider it to be the most interesting guitar that Gibson has made in years. It's a wonderfully well integrated design with all sorts of technical features coming together to make it a special instrument. You really can't mess with that design very much before it loses what makes it great in the first place.

5. Strat

Strat Member

Where ?

6. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

They are pricey, no?

7. daddyo

daddyo Guest

To me, they're the most tempting guitar Gibson makes. I applaud the 25 1/2" scale. The small body size plus the thought that went into it with Johnny A's help regarding the way the flat back affects tone. They also are drop dead gorgeous. Yes, they are pricy but I see that there are several eBay vendors who sell them steadily for $3.2-3.6K new depending on Bigsby. The Standards sell on eBay for around $2700. I've seen a used Custom Shop sell for $2700 and a used ebony black one (a special colour) sell for $2900. These are Gibson's best guitars and they sell for less than an R9.

8. gregc

gregc Member

I agreee; had one, sold it, had to buy another. This one stays. Great guitars, for just about everything!

9. XKnight

XKnight Member

I don't think it's strange at all considering these guitars are very different from what Gibson generally offers and at the $3000+ price point there is a limited market to begin with. Most Gibson fans spending that kind of cash are probably sticking with the Custom Shop LPs or 335 if they want a semi hollow body.

10. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Agreed it wouldn't be the exact same guitar, and would sound and feel different but how many of the technical features that make it special revolve around the scale length or are dependent on the string tension 25.5 inches makes?

The fact that someone with your background is impressed with the guitar speaks volumes about just how special it is. But I gotta think a shorter scale length would make an equally brilliant guitar. Different sounding and feeling no doubt, but just as special. I don't have to worry, as I'll never drop that kind of cash on a guitar, but I'm a 25.5 inch guy myself, so I'd buy it as it exists today personally...

11. 900

900 Member

That's probably the problem.......

12. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

I love mine. Its the best Gibson I have ever played. A looker with tone!
    [​IMG]

13. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

I love the look of this guitar, but who the hell is Johhny A ??

Maybe that is the problem, no-one knows who this guiy is, and it's labelled as a sig, which have a reputation for diving in value generally.
    Also, people hate Gibson doing anything different, that's been proven over and over again.
    The dempgraphic that can afford this guitar want more of the same form Gibson and nothing else.
    But it looks GROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVY !!!!!

Don't suppose there is a coil tap in there by any chance, bung that in and the tone possibilities are complete.

14. mailman

mailman Member

Don't know who this guy is??? Perhaps YOU are the problem. He's one helluva instrumentalist/guitarist, who has made quite a name for himself in the past 20 years. A simple search will answer your question. Try www.Johnnya.com and enjoy!

15. phretbored

phretbored Member

The JA is the greatest hollow design from Gibson in modern times.
    The 25.5 scale ength + ebony board is phantastic!
    They sell plenty of them too.
    The Gibson Custom Shop puts out some kick @$$ instruments.

:AOK

16. Radagacuca

Radagacuca Member

imho it´s one of the most beautiful guitars out there.
    i would probalby buy it unseen if it had the shorter scale and a center block like a 335 etc.

i respect johnny a as a great musician but am uncomfortable with signature guitars and usually avoid them (ok ok, except les paul´s).
    maybe i am just lucky there are non of em around to try in my area.
    at least thats good for my financial health.
    i also think gibson would sell way more of them if it wasn´t a signature model.

17. phretbored

phretbored Member

Maybe you should just get an ES356?

18. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

Thank you for that link, and hopefully the mods will not delete your post, for the sarcasm.
    I think the tihng here is that guys like this do not get distributed her in Oz. I can't even get Joe Bonamassa here, so exposure to new artists or rrecordings like this is quite hard. I am a dropout who never goes to shopping malls either, so my CD browsing time is zilch.
    I am, however, going to be in the US in just a few weeks, and have a major music buyying soree planned ot make up for hat. Hopefully I will pick up his CD along with some JB and Derek Trucks at the same time.
    Intersting that my fav guitar player, Kirk Hammett just bought one of these guitars. I'd like to think that will see some more Load type stuff from him.
    I am a sucker for hollow bodies too, so I'll surely wap my hands around a Johhny A sig next chance I get.

19. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

A good friend of mine, who plays bass in my pop/rock band and the occasional jazz guitar duet with me as well, and knows all of my guitars as well as anyone, had this to say about my JA: "I've never heard another guitar do as many things as well as the Johnny A does." (of course, Jim, I haven't played one of your'ns yet...)

The distinctiveness of the design (scale length, internal construction) is very intentional -- Johnny A is a madman for small details -- so I don't see what purpose would be served by bastardizing it in an effort to supposedly broaden its appeal. If someone wants a scaled-down 335, well, that's why Gibson makes the 3x6 series, ya know? Spend a few minutes with a 356 and a JA and you'll see/feel/hear: very different guitars.

20. Radagacuca

Radagacuca Member

i have a 339 that i like very much.
    the 356 is a beautiful guitar too, but imho not as beautiful as the johnny a.
    i like that sg-inspired -semi look.
    due to i never played either of those and would have to buy them sight unseen i am basically not willing to spent that much on a guitar that i can´t return if i don´t like it. both of these are very rare in germany so one would take a big loss when selling them. even in like new condition.
    that´s downside of living on the other side of the pond.