Gibson Johnny A Undervalued?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jads57, Jan 5, 2008.

1. dharmafool

dharmafool Member

I had heard that the blond model is a special order. Does anyone know if this is correct?

2. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Uh .. that is how to write/say it if you're not specifically aiming at a given person (the all inclusive "one" v. "you")... which I wasn't there...

3. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I've played a couple of JA's...

They ARE all that.

My .02,

S.
    j

4. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

Not to get off track, but it did sound like an attack. Lets keep it friendly.:cool:

5. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Can anyone compare the tone of the signature maple topped JA to the mahogany topped Stanadard JA. There is a Standard here in town that will be $1K less than the maple one.

6. mwoeppel

mwoeppel Member

yeah, i love the feel of ebony. I had a strat plus ultra with ebony - liked the feel of that one, too.

here's a writeup of Johnny's choices in the guitar construction

gibson player

7. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Check this clip out! Johnny A takes his Johnny A through some whammy gymnastics that you'd usually associate with a Fender trem guitar. He gets all the tones he needs through this axe. It's seems like many guitars in one. This also shows that Johnny isn't just limited to chord melody interpretations of pop songs.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MaPzWj-oq0&feature=related

8. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

He's a monster guitar player, I just caught his show in december.

9. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

I still maintain they`re not as valued as the more generic counterparets(Les Pauls, 335`s !75`s). That`s not to say those other guitars are not worth it. It`s just they`re aren`t as many JA`s out there, and they can be bought in themid 2k range fairly easily,just check ebay! Maybe someone w/ a high profile( insert guitar star here ) needs to start playing one.And again it`s the only Gibson other than the Tal Farlowe,L-5 ,or Super 400 w/ a 25&1/2 " scale length.

10. mwoeppel

mwoeppel Member

That would seem to indicate prices have dropped a bit in the last year or so. Bummer. Still - an awesome guitar.

11. morlll

morlll Member

I don't like the pointy horns.

Is it head heavy?

12. mwoeppel

mwoeppel Member

most balanced hollow body i've encountered. no neck heaviness at all

13. SmilingDave

SmilingDave Supporting Member

I love everything about mine--every aspect of the design, from the placement of the selector switch to the scale length, it all comes together to make a special instrument. Why these guitars aren't more popular is beyond me ...
    [​IMG]

14. lpnv59

lpnv59 Member

That's one pretty guitar you got!

15. lpnv59

lpnv59 Member

PS: actually they are quite popular. One of the more successful Gibson "Signature" Models. Usually on backorder at the custom shop!

16. daddyo

daddyo Guest

OK - Not fair. Where the heck did you get a gold one?

17. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

the Johnny A is an interesting guitar, but it's unusual and a completely different type of guitar. Something entirely new often takes a long time to gain a following. Hell, even the Tele was called boat paddles for a little while there.

18. SmilingDave

SmilingDave Supporting Member

It was truly one of those right places at the right time scenarios. I found it for sale a few years ago at a site where some owners register and share stories about their Johnny A guitars (http://www.jaguitar.org/jar.htm).

19. waynesmith

waynesmith Member

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a Johnny A standard with a bigsby. I like the all mahogany body and top and the ginger color is very classy. I play mainly Les Pauls and the occasional tele and would really like to get a hollow body...

20. playon

playon Supporting Member

Just found this thread & had to add my 2 cents worth. I've been playing a Johnny A for about 3-4 years & it is everything positive that the other posters have said it is. I predict that someday the hard-tail Johnny A models which are made in smaller quanities will be a future collectable much like the old ES-335 stoptails are today. So far they've only made around 600 Johnny A signatures, and the fact that they've introduced the standard model means that Gibson believes in this guitar. It's just getting tradition-bound guitarists to give it a chance, it's tough because it's pricey enough that a lot of folks won't take a chance on it.

I don't care much about Johnny A the guitarist -- although he's a great player, I'm not really into listening to "musician's music", my personal taste is great songs rather than displays of viruousity. What got my attention about this guitar is that being mostly a Fender guy, I've always wanted a long-scale thinline hollow body made by Gibson & they finally did it, and did it right. The Johnny A is a total sleeper and the first real innovation that Gibson has made in years IMO. I'm not nuts about the pointy horns, (I call it my "Batman guitar") but who cares, it plays and sounds killer. It and my Telecaster are my #1 axes & I play out with the J.A. all the time. People are always asking me about it when I play it live. I put a real PAF and an early Pat# pickup in mine and it just sings. It's also one of the most comfortable guitars I've ever played -- small, light and nicely balanced.

I just found out about the new Standard version, and I'm gassing bad for one. They seem to be rare and I have yet to see one turn up used. The mahogany top & rosewood fingerboard will be a darker sound that begs for some single coils or lower-output humbuckers -- it would be killer to set one up with some TV Jones Classics or something similar.