Gibson Johnny Smith 1980 with parallel bracing!!!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by makam, Feb 18, 2012.

1. makam

makam Member

Hi.
    I bought recently a 1980 Gibson Johnny Smith that has parallel bracing instead of the normaly X.
    The previous owner don't have any clue about this.
    Does anybody know, if Gibson produced a number of parallel braced Johnny Smiths around 1980?
    I'm the owner of another Johnny Smith from 1983, that have the 'correct' X bracing, so I wonder if the 1980 model it's a rare bird or a custom?:huh
    Thanks

2. zenitB

zenitB Supporting Member

My Smith was a 60's model it was X braced but that said, you can't ever expect Gibson to be predictable, I have seen short scale 175's, a ES140 with a Byrdland neck, I had a 60's L7C with a CC pickup etc.
    I think it was Gruhn who said, "Gibson made at least one of everything" if he's right, your Smith is one of those!

3. Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels Supporting Member

Does it also have wing bracing in front of the F holes? A short brace that touches the outside of the parallel brace and points toward the side of the guitar. I think that is the L5 style bracing.

4. MartinPiana

MartinPiana Supporting Member

How does the tone of each compare? Noticeable difference because of the bracing?

Pictures, of course, would be supercool.

5. makam

makam Member

Yes, I just notice it has wing bracing in front of the f holes.
    As for a tone compare between them, you can't have a real conclusion, as the sunburst 1980 Johnny is heavily modified by the former owner (unfortunately).
    He has put two PAF pickups, metal tuneomatic bridge, four knobs, and a toggle switch.
    Its electric tone is perfect but its acoustic sound is a bit dead compared with the blonde 1983 Johnny.
    My Wes Montgomery L5, is also louder, but it has a deeper body.

6. Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels Supporting Member

Cool! With the Wing Bracing, it braced like a vintage L5. So it will have more in common with that model. (general statement coming up) The X bracing is often a bit louder of a guitar with a bit more explosive or percusive nature to it. The top is support in the middle transfering the vibrations to the edges. The Parallel will be a bit more mellow and even over the tonal range. In a pure accoustic nature, I like the X braced version for overall loudness and articulation. For Amplified, I prefer the Parallel bracing as it provides a nice even tone that can be adjusted a bit from the amp for clarity and brightness.

Does both models you own have the floating pickup hanging off the fingerboard? I would think that the L5 bracing would lend itself better to pickups mounted directly to the body. That bracing helps reduce feedback etc.