Gibson L6-Deluxe

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 67tbone, Jan 19, 2015.

1. 67tbone

67tbone Member

I bought this guitar from my guitar teacher when I was in 8th grade (for $300, probably around 1981). It was my first real electric guitar, and I've managed to keep it all these years

Seems like the L-6S is the more popular of the two models, but I'm wondering what y'all can tell me about this guitar.

It had the Bill Lawrence pickup in the bridge position when I bought it. I guess the originals are Bill Lawrence as well. I've considered trying to go back to the original bridge pickup, but can't seem to find any. Anyone know of a modern or currently available pickup that would be a good fit?

Tell me what you know, Gibson people. Thanks!

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

2. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

I've had 3 L6S's..... I love the necks on them. However, like some of Gibson's Walnut guitars, these Maple guitars are very bright. I've probably tried a dozen different humbuckers in L6S's as well as tone control schemes etc, and none of them got rid of the guitars brightness.

3. 67tbone

67tbone Member

This guitar is really bright too. The bridge pickup insanely so.

So body is maple? Neck too?

4. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

I had the one with the 6 position switch. It was all black and had an ebony fingerboard. I really liked that guitar and used it on many gigs and recording sessions. The neck felt great but mine wasn't bright at all.

5. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Member

Funny - I had a L6-S and it was completely dull sounding.

I wanted one since Santana played one around '74 and I got one from eBay. Now it's gone for good, it's part of a dust collector collection ;-)

6. mikebat

mikebat Member

I have a black L6-S with the "ebony" fretboard. It was my first electric guitar.

It had the Bill Lawrence "Superhumbuckers" and the 6 way switch. As well, the tone controls are not run of the mill tone controls. There was only one position of the 6 that I liked, the others were just muddy.

The guitar was collecting dust, so I did the unthinkable, I refretted it, replaced those pickups with a JB/'59 and replaced the 6 way with a simple 3 way toggle. I also removed the pickguard. Now....I can use it.

The neck is very fast and thin, not great for chording, but you can fly on it. It is a little neck heavy too. In many ways, I think it is like an SG.

7. 67tbone

67tbone Member

Do you know if the Deluxe had the same pickups as the S? And were those True Blues or something like that?

8. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Member

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  9. c_mac

c_mac Member

I've owned an L6-S for years, threads like this are very painful to me because they conjure up the bad memories of when I played it. I still have it because it has sentimental value. Anyway, I tried some different pickup and never found anything that sounded very good. The problem is that it is a very thin guitar and the pickup cavities are not very deep. I had to route the cavities a touch deeper to fit standard humbuckers in there. I did all of that and unfortunately, it still sounded like ass.

10. geodr

geodr Member

My first electric was that exact model guitar, with original pickups; liked it but didn't love it. But was playing through a crappy Crate amp in the early 80's, so not sure which was the weaker link

11. 67tbone

67tbone Member

12. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Member

Still don't know how Santana got this heavenly tones out of that thing. Just listen to the whole "Borboletta"-album.

(part of that tone clearly was his Boogie...

...wish I had a Mark I!)

:drool

(another part must have been his then fresh ears :hide2)

13. gentlyweeping

gentlyweeping Member

I had that one also. Wish I still did (knocks head on wall). No brightness issues either.

14. drpoyer

drpoyer Member

Interesting story in the design, marketing and failure of the guitar. I am sure you can find or have found the whole history of Bill Lawrence and the L6S; he never had a problem explaining what happened . It was not the guitar he designed but the guitar that was bastardize by the exec's at Gibson. I should have bought one when you could have one for 400-600 1999-2003 or so.

15. 67tbone

67tbone Member

I'll have to look into that, drproyer.

For anyone interested, I've deduced that mine is a 1976 model.

16. Slowhead

Slowhead Member

I had the Midnight Special, bolt neck, 3 way switch, maple neck and board.
    Bought it new in 74 or 75 for $299.00
    Sold it about a year or so later, neck twisted, electronics screwed up. What a POS
    I'd still like another, nostalgia is a terrible thing