Gibson L6-S, anyone?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rollyfoster, Aug 26, 2006.

1. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

I haven't been able to find any discussion on these guitars around here. I hope I'm not the only person that plays one! I'd like to get some others' opinions on them.

Also, I'd like to get a pic of the electronics. My henry-choker fell out and I'm not sure if my tech wired it correctly when he put it back in.

Thanks

2. xcycle

xcycle Member

I am looking for a 2nd guitar to go with my G&L Legacy.

My sister has one in her shop but it needs fret work. Checking Harmony Central and wow! Bunches of L6 lovers. It almost seemed abit over the top, like they were all in cohoots with each other to drive up some interest or something.

What is your take on that? I can't play it because it is 200 miles away.

I would be using it for slide mostly and a maple body/neck should be pretty bright right? The guitar is about $300 but will need a $200 refret. Seemed a bit pricey.

Eric

3. George Johnson

George Johnson Member

I had one back in the seventies. They're made entirely of maple so don't expect a lot of depth tonewise.

Played great though!

4. DejavuDave

DejavuDave Member

I had one of those in the 70's, too. I hardly remember what it felt and sounded like so perhaps it's not fair for me to remark on it, but I do remember thinking it lacked character and I didn't keep it very long --- probably because I started playing strats after that and never looked back. The only Gibson I have nowadays is an archtop.

5. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

I used to have one in the 70's also. My first electric guitar. I don't remember anything about it except some day I would like to get another for sentimental reasons. Oh yeah, I bought it because Santana played one, and I thought I would sound like him if I bought it.:jo Of course I didn't.

I would invest $500.00 for a decent one.

Larry

6. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Nifty guitars.

Welcome to the Gear Page BTW!

7. leond

leond Member

The L6-S was my first electric guitar also. I remember paying $400 cash for it. Back then, that was a lot of clean dishes (I was a dishwasher).

I ended up trading it plus $50 for a used Gibson Howard Roberts.

Rumble Seat Music has one in exc condition for $1250.

LeonD

8. Rich

Rich Member

Rumble Seat can keep it for 1250. To me thats just dealer price hyping because it "vintage."

I had 2. One black, one natural. Both excellent condition. Paid 400 (private) for the black and 600 (dealer) for the natural just a couple of years back. Nice enuf guitars but not overwhelmingly full of character. Plus they had skinny little necks and low frets.

9. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

I remember some guys playing those in the 70s, and I played a few at soundchecks etc. A couple played pretty nicely, but my memory of it was that it was a cross between a gibson and a fender, but the wrong kind of cross. Took the worst of both and left out the best of both. Of course, my memory of the 70s is seen through a fairly thick filter of all kinds of, er, substances. Just my .02

10. c_mac

c_mac Member

I have owned one for years now. I hate it. I've done everything I can think of to make it sound good and I have failed every time. It just doesn't have a nice chimey clean or a thick distortion. Rumble Seat will have theirs for quite a while for $1250.

11. Stormy

Stormy Member

Keith Richard plays a really cool looking black one that I've seen and always wanted (now that I mentioned Keef plays an L6-S the price will probably go up 4K) :jo !

12. Mark Barratt

Mark Barratt Supporting Member

I played a friends L6S many years ago in New Zealand. It was O.K. but i never got around to buying one myself.
    It was, from memory a "bright/thin" sounding Gibson and i seem to recall i wasn't crazy about the neck.
    I think Al Di Meola played an L6S for a while, mid 80's.
    But -- when i moved to England i tried out the L5S and to this day i always wished i had of bought one of those.
    The L5S was a bigger budget version (sort of) and was one of the best guitars i ever played.
    It was the Cherry/Sunburst Humbucker version, and great to play but out of my price range at the time.
    Pat Martino and Jorma Kaukonen where two players i can remember seeing using an L5S.

13. eric102673

eric102673 Member

I had one for a while, it sunded cool but it was really neck heavy.

-e.

14. mainsale

mainsale Member

I've got a L5s in natural and I like it. I've had it since new in 1979.

15. JiMB

JiMB Member

Keith's is an L5-S, black. I saw Ronny Wood use it on one of his solo tours in the 80's. My second guitar teacher had one in a natural finish.

16. paintguy

If you ever sell, I would like one for sentimental reasons. Just don't want to pay a small fortune for it.

Larry

17. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

[​IMG]

This is the L6 Deluxe that I have been using since the late 70's. Basically same maple body (but stained in this case), has strings through body and rosewood board. There was no rotary switch with Bill Lawrence's caps and partial phase settings like the L6S.
    This had 2 large black plastic pickups that appeared to be totally sealed with epoxy. These were also designed by B.L. and sounded extreamly thin and rather sterile IMHO. (unlike some of the great pup's he is currently making)
    I have since changed the pup's. the bridge is an active Bartolini E90, middle is a hot rail wired in parallel, the neck is a super cool pup that Steve Blucher made for me, based on Dimarzio's multibucker. It's 2 single sized 'buckers side by side. This one has a P-90 esque voiced single sized 'bucker close to the neck and a PAF voiced 'bucker on the bridge side of the bucker. Very cool tones. These helped a good bit, but it's still not as warm or throaty as a nice mahogany body.

I remember the L6-S also sounded more on the sterile side with it's B.L. pup's.

Here is a blues tune I recorded with the L6 a while back

Blues clip overdriven tone

Audio Clip short clean

Harry Jacobson
    www.harryj.net

18. c_mac

c_mac Member

In my quest to make it sound better I've have done a few irreversible mods like routing out the middle for another pickup.

19. paintguy

That's cool. I would do mods if I felt it really needed it too.That being said, I would like a stock one.

20. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

wow, I was expecting more positive feedback... I really like this guitar a lot. mine's a 74 and it's beat to hell, but i really like the small neck on it and the amount of different tones that come out of it. I've never had a problem with it sounding thin, but I also play through a Mark IV.