Gibson leaving Memphis

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by stonevibe, Dec 4, 2018 at 3:58 PM.

1. JPH118

JPH118 Member

Agreed! My '18 339 plays like a dream... i almost feel guilty about getting it at the bankruptcy discount, but can't say a bad word about it.

2. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

That sucks about Memphis. It's the sad reality of big business - have to cut costs to stay afloat. I don't envy Curleigh's position. Despite all the posing & smiling, and talking about being at the helm of a historic company (blah blah blah), he's the one making the hard choices right now. It's going to make him unpopular in some circles, I'm sure.

I hope those getting let go in Memphis are taken care of, but I don't hold out hope for that; just hope they find comparable (if not better) pay elsewhere soon.

3. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

The Nashville housing market is way up now. Nothing like the Memphis market. And there aren't many jobs at a Gibson factory that pay well enough to support relocating to a difficult housing market. Used to shoot pool in the 5 points area when I was a kid and that was where knife and gun fights happened and folks bled out on the street. Now it is high $$ desirable real estate.

FWIW, I have been thinking Gibson Memphis was over since they announced the "move". Now it is official. While I understand the logic, if the guitar business was as healthy as we seem to think, I don't think Memphis would be shut down. There have been other clues about the shaky condition of Gibson's guitar business. The poor investment/diversification strategy and unmanageable debt provided some shade for the guitar business but that is about over. The guitar business is in the spotlight now.

Kind of unfortunate that the shutdown has folks anticipating an increase in the value of guitars.

hunter

Tone Loco and =JL= like this.
  4. 5cr33nager

5cr33nager Member

@Bucksears still have my ES 135 and love it. It’s from the early 2000’s.

@hunter East Nashville was rough.

5. jwguitar

jwguitar Member

I cant imagine that they would go to China. But who knows? I think that Gibson is a brand that has a loyal following because unlike any other guitar brand they are made in the USA (with Chinese electronics and parts of course!)

6. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Yep. My description is based on eyewitness accounts. My eyewitness accounts.

hunter

7. SolidGuitar

SolidGuitar Member

I really enjoyed the Memphis factory tour. Another chapter in the history books.

8. Nebakanezer

Nebakanezer Silver Supporting Member

In a geographical anomaly, 2 weeks from everywhere
    Do they still do the tours?

I have 3 Gibsons that don't add up to what one of the Memphis guitars would cost, but I always wanted to go to Beale St. and stop by.

I think it would pay homage to do a final run of Lucilles and then discontinue that line. But that's just an opinion.

9. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

I know it sounds cynical, but I wonder how many more years Gibson can support 10-15% yearly price increases on their ES guitars. I’m glad I own the two ES-335s I have, but I’d never be able to replace them at current prices.

10. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

In the same boat with my 03 Les Paul standard LE and ES-339, wouldn't be able to swing them new for the price. If I did decide to pony up, I would start looking at other options like suhr, Anderson, etc.

I hate to see gibson close Memphis, but I think its for the best of them, as I don't see the high end electric guitar market growing.

11. sub rosa

sub rosa Member

12. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Foolish move from the onset.

13. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

That frequent price increase has also done a great job of propping up the used Gibson market resale value. And as contrary as it sounds, that in turn props up the overall Gibson market because of the folks that support the brand based on resale value. If the market won't support price increases, resale will also suffer. It is pretty easy to start a downward spiral. Maybe they could work with more modest increases.

hunter

5cr33nager likes this.
  14. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Supporting Member

Thank you for a factual post.

Lot more roofs than that though, including:
    . Gibson Nashville
    . Gibson Bozeman
    . Two (?) Epiphone plants in Qingdao, China
    . Two Baldwin / Chickering / Wurlitzer / Hamilton / Howard piano plants in China

and many more non-instrument-building locations.

And let's take a moment to note the October, 2018 closure of the Baldwin Piano plant in Arkansas.

It does stink for peoples' jobs to move and get cut altogether.
    It is good that jobs are still around.

The next question is, "Why does Gibson need a guitar factory in Bozeman?"
    The answer is not, "Climate." Climate ends at the front door of a guitar factory. Besides, people built great acoustic guitars in Michigan, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, New York City, Connecticut, Washington, Tennessee, California, Texas etc. Heck, Benedetto builds rather nice acoustic guitars in Savannah, GA, which has an identical climate to Nashville, TN.

Stay tuned . . .

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018 at 10:34 AM
  15. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Supporting Member

Bingo.

But, the revolving door of folks already in Nashville aren't doing so hot either.

:(

My pops worked at regular old factory in the 70's/80's and some of the 90's. He went to thousands of concerts & bars to see live music, amassed a huge record collection, had many cars/motorcycles over the years, and never had an issue paying the rent.

Geez, I wonder why no one goes out anymore....hmmmm...

16. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Probably more like the tax and perks climate, and I'll add quality of life factors to a lesser degree. Tax and perks was certainly a factor in Memphis. Gotta wonder when municipalities are gonna learn.

Yeah all those Gibson acoustics built in Kalamazoo are suffering from the climate.

hunter

5cr33nager, ford and Sam Sherry like this.
  17. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Supporting Member

Memphis ain't never gonna learn:

[​IMG]

90+ Million dollars later......

I've been there like two or three times just to look at it and the place is always near empty.

Bluedawg likes this.
  18. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

Of the 50+ guitars I have owned in my lifetime, there isn't one purchase where "resale value" was a consideration. I'm not a guitar flipper, and the Gibson guitars I own now I will likely never sell, as they are all the best guitars I've ever owned. I will let my estate worry about their resale value.

Cruciform likes this.
  19. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

C'mon. Two thousand years from now that will be regarded like the tombs of the pharaohs.

hunter

20. caldera

caldera Member

It was probably just a place relatively close to the suppliers they need to build acoustics, coupled with lower costs of doing business.