Gibson leaving Memphis

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by stonevibe, Dec 4, 2018 at 3:58 PM.

1. caldera

caldera Member

Yeah, prices of like-new used guitars are a function of the cost of buying a comparable new guitar instead.

If the cost of buying a new Les Paul shoots up, not only does the cost of a comparable substitute drive used Les Paul costs up, but it sends more people into the used market, creating more demand on the supply, and driving prices up further.

Of course this assumes demand remains static or grows. If demand for guitars outstrips supply then prices may sink regardless.

2. LeftyGtrPlr

LeftyGtrPlr Member

Originally I was going to refute this and respond with "Not mine" since I have never been a fan of Strats, Teles or Fender amps, however, I would have been wrong. After thinking about it, my EVH USA Wolfgang and EVH 5150 III amps are really Fender products, so now I have to agree that Fender has a piece of my heart (probably not everyone's heart though).

3. Frozen Rat

Frozen Rat Gold Supporting Member

That may be so, but I still think it would be far more economical to build everything in Nashville and build the acoustics in a controlled environment at that location. Having a major part of their manufacturing 2000 miles away does not make sense to me.

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The idea of acoustics being built somewhere else makes more sense than the semi/hollowbodies-you do have to ship tuners and some parts, but most of the building blocks are different, so not a lot of extra cost. And the Boseman plant is killing it quality wise, so why mess with a good thing?

As to the retailers, I know at least a couple of stores that have started getting Gibson back in after being shut out 2 years ago. It looks like the new team wants to make them easy to find, not "mail order" crap shoots.

Thumpalumpacus and analogwarmth like this.
  5. ToneDeVille

ToneDeVille Member

6. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

You bet. I've picked up several sets of Classic 57s, clean and used, from guys here who yank them out of their new Gibsons and begin the boo-teek pickup chase.

I got one of the 2016 Memphis 335s on blowout from CME last year - I'm normally cautious about Gibson's QC, but this is an excellent guitar - with BurstBucker 1&2s. Perfectly good stock pickups with a noticeable edge to the note attack. I recently put in (used) Classic 57s for a rounder tone. Depends on what you want.

I've also put Classic 57s into a PRS hollowbody guitar, an act that will probably get me banned from guitar forums across the Internet, but again, the 57s gave me more of the sound that I was after.

Shame about the Memphis factory closing, but they gotta do what they can to consolidate and trim costs, post-bankruptcy. Like others have pointed out, the cost of housing in Nashville is going to be difficult for relocated Memphis workers.

=K

7. wmachine

wmachine Member

Also knocked down a notch using a one piece maple neck instead of the previous 3-pc.
    White does not work for me. There is no real "historical" reason to use white, and the white bindings get lost in the body color. So it has less bling. I don't see using any other binding color for white, so white is just not right. For a Lucille, that is.
    What is right, however, is a $1500 street price reduction. Much closer to reality.

8. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

Like I said earlier, there was a mandolin company located there which Gibson purchased, so there was already a factory and a skilled work force in place.

9. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

I think these price increases have been pretty crazy. However, the used market for 335s is more realistic.

10. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I know we have at least one member here who worked for Gibson, but I don't recall which location or his TGP handle.

I'd love to hear from him as to his current outlook on the company as well as his current status with them, as I sincerely hope he is one who kept his job.

11. Wyzard

Wyzard Member

I was always under the impression that if demand outstrips (i.e. rises faster than) supply, the price of pretty much anything will rise.

Maybe I just misunderstood....?

12. Black Lodge Bob

Black Lodge Bob Supporting Member

13. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

Profitable or not, they still owe the money from those bad business deals. If they can't sell those businesses to pay off debt and the guitar business doesn't generate enough profit to service the debt, the future doesn't look bright.

Alan Dunn likes this.
  14. Warmy

Warmy Supporting Member

15. HellsKitchenGtr

HellsKitchenGtr Supporting Member

I got to tour the Memphis factory last May. Odd as it was just after the bankruptcy filing, so somehow in my mind I expected them to be closed at that moment. :) But it was very interesting, and a lot of fun.

16. hotrats73

hotrats73 Member

Closing Memphis?

Well, from now on everyone with a Memphis made guitar can claim or complain that Memphis made were better.

17. wmachine

wmachine Member

We've been saying that......

18. Frankenstratocaster

Frankenstratocaster Member

I'm glad I bought an LP Tribute before the vultures got to the "carcass".

19. budglo58

budglo58 Member

While producing acoustics might seem to make sense due to the climate, I don’t really buy into that idea as Martins are made in Pa and put out great acoustic guitars and have for years.

20. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I don't think I mentioned climate in my post. You're right, Martin has done fine in the east for almost 200 years! But if you've got a plant that turning out top quality stuff, and it's not costing too much, and there's not a lot of parts synergy with the main plant, it makes sense to leave it alone. Memphis, OTOH only differs from Nashville in the body styles it makes-electronics, hardware, necks, trim-those are all the same, so bringing them under one roof isn't a terrible idea.

budglo58 and Scary Uncle G. like this.