Gibson Les Paul 3 pickup wiring help

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jonahboo, Mar 13, 2015.

1. jonahboo

jonahboo Supporting Member

Good morning

so some background - I acquired a LP Artisan thru trade - while I am excited to own it - it is not without its issues. Original owner gooned guitar out for a Floyd Rose and second owner (I'm the 3rd) had to re-install the 3 orig pickups (owner #1 had Dimarzios in there), and when doing so - he had it wired in "Frampton wiring".

My Under standing of Frampton Wiring (if there is such a thing):
    toggle: up=neck, center=neck/bridge; down=bridge
    upper pots: front vol for neck/bridge; rear=tone for neck bridge
    lower pots: front vol for middle pickup (blend in at any toggle position); tone for middle pickup

ok
    I have no idea how this is supposed to be wired - I do know this though: I own an Epi Firebird VII with 3 pickups. The cool thing w/ that is I can blend in the middle pickup for an outta phase kinda sound - almost tele like - I love that

can this /should this be wired like that?

as seen in pics - the middle pickup is turned 180 degrees the wrong direction

fwiw - I am keeping this - I will repair and refinish the top (brush painted black - ugggh) - it will wear a vibrated bigsby (it was born as a "SECOND" anyway)- any help greatly appreciated

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

That guitar had a Floyd Rose?

That's the best spring cavity fill I've ever seen.

3. jonahboo

it's a 10 footer
    cavity fill is not great - I see a seam - so would you in person
    luckily the black will come off easy - that's "me" creating the wear mark - I wanted to "test the waters" to see how hard the black was gonna fight me....it won't be too hard

4. AdmiralB

I still don't see how the back could be a fill. That looks like one piece of mahogany to me.

5. jonahboo

back is fine - maybe it was a Kahler on there

6. Synex7254

Synex7254 Member

Frampton Les Paul Custom wiring is the neck and bridge pickups are wired to the top Volume and tone. The 3 way works just like on a 2 PUP Les Paul. The middle pickups are wired to the lower volume and tone and not connected to the switch so you can blend it in with any pickup combination.

Normally on a Les Paul Custom I believe are wired bridge, middle and bridge, neck.

7. AdmiralB

That's where I was headed. There's no nut shelf and no spring cavity, so not a Floyd.