GIbson Les Paul alternatives

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RocknPop, Jan 22, 2012.

1. RocknPop

RocknPop Supporting Member

Hi guys,

I traded my Les Paul, and I still have my PRS CE22 and Gibson ES-335, both which have great humbuckers. Though I haven't played them much, I'm afraid I might be missing out on the 57/BB3 combo I had. So, since I have a 335, I was considering other humbucking guitars that have both, the growl and the smooth round 57 classic tone. What do you guys suggest I try?

What are your thoughts on a McCartney, a Mira, or a Swamp Ash Special? Other than PRS, who also makes good humbucking guitars?

2. wes37

wes37 Supporting Member

3. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

PRS DGT. Seriously. Everywhere I go, especially when I meet new TGP members local to me, when they hear the DGT....they go get one. I was over at Sfarnell's a few days ago and played my DGT through his amps...he just bought a DGT.

GtrDave's looking for one now. Go try one!

4. RocknPop

Just checked that one (PRS SC58) out. Cool guitar it seems. But for that price, I could get a really nice LP. I'm trying to get similar tone in the $1,000 - $1,500 range...

I'll try a DGT... sounds cool

5. gmcelroy

gmcelroy Member

I picked up 2004 Wildwood Limited PRS McCarty Trem with a Brazilian board and after owning over 9 Les Pauls I have no more desire to own another!

6. gtrdoc

gtrdoc Member

I have owned 3 different Swamp Specials over the years (including my current one that has a rosewood board), and IMO they can't get you quite where you want in terms of that classic LP tone. They are fantastic guitars for what they do however, which is give you many different tones in the Strat/Tele/Hybrid range. I love mine but it just doesn't give me quite enough of that low end thump and growl.

7. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I recently picked up a PRS SE245 a great answer to Les Paul players. Sure it's a Korean version but plays great, sounds great and lightweight. I have a MD Made PRS CE24. I also own many Gibsons, & Fenders and Tom Anderson as well.

8. adaytonguitarist

adaytonguitarist Senior Member

These days Im loving anything with Tim Shaw Humbuckers in it. Maybe find a mid 80s Les Paul or SG with Tim Shaws. Heres my 1987 HC sunburst LP Studio. Ive had a couple dozen LP Standards and a half dozen Customs and a few studios and this is by far the best sounding Gibson Ive ever owned. Tim Shaw P/Us rock.
    [​IMG]

9. hippietim

hippietim Silver Supporting Member

As a mostly PRS guy I have to say that if you want the Les Paul you should get a Les Paul.

10. mjtripper

mjtripper Supporting Member

Maybe try a Hamer?

11. RocknPop

:huh I'm trying to explore other options since the Les Paul wasn't as great as my CE22. Mainly just trying to get ideas...

12. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

Try a McInturff. BUT, if you don't ever go back to Gibson's, don't blame me, lol.

13. RocknPop

Ironic eh? RockinLesPaul? ;) I'll check them out. Thanks!

14. FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman Member

DGT's are pretty damn good.

15. mikefair

mikefair Member

Japanese. Orville, Tokai, Burney, Yamaha. For a Les Paul that isn't, I think it's the only way to go.

16. tazzboy

tazzboy Supporting Member

Heritage Guitars made at Gibson old place in Kalamazoo Michigan.

17. Bhodie

Bhodie Member

You say you kept the 335. I sold my R9 and kept my 335 and never looked back. That doesn't fill your bill for a humbucker guitar? Maybe mess with pickups (I happen to love mine) but nothing wrong with a rockin 335.

18. mrface2112

mrface2112 Member

My '78 Greco EG800 Custom Black Beauty is the best Les Paul I've played, and i've played a lot of them over the years.

[​IMG]

cheers,
    wade

19. RocknPop

Yeah, I'm a little apprehensive of selling/tradig my 335 for that reason. I think that should suffice. The other option is getting a 339. Maybe I just have GAS right now :)

20. patentcad

patentcad Member

'Alternative' doesn't mean 'better', it just implies choices. I love my PRS SC58, and I have an LP that I also love, in the end I'd agree with the 'if you want an LP then GET an LP' statement. With this caveat: guitar weenies like you and I may hear the subtle differences between a Lester and a PRS SC, but this is our passion, and we all spend hours upon hours listening to and listening for tonal nuances in the guitars we play and audition @ our local music stores. Hell, I bring my own amp to the store when I really want to audition a guitar, along with one or two of my own guitars.

In other words to the civilian population we are splitting hairs here. To us it's a big deal.