Gibson Les Paul Classic Flametop??

JDaniels

I always thought the Classics had a plain top? Doing some research a couple limited runs had a flame top, but I just want you guys to see if there’s anything fishy about this guitar. According to the serial number it’s an ‘06 and he says it’s stock with 57 Classic pickups. What are your thoughts? I haven’t seen the guitar in person yet but the snot green inlays give it away as a Classic. He doesn’t have the original case and is asking $1100 Canadian or $875 USD. What would you guys pay for this?

Xkcdfan

Is it me or the neck heel looks like it's made of 2 pieces. Also don't see wings on headstock and the serial lettering is kind of a wierd color.

If you're buying sight unseen i'd ask for higher definition pics.

Ill let the more experienced guys chime in

JDaniels

What are headstock wings? Yeah I did see the two piece heel, and good call about the serial number, my traditional has it completely finished over. I wouldn’t be buying it sight unseen, but the seller would be driving an hour and half to meet me.

Truss rod cover?

Last edited:

Vanilla Latte

My 2014 Classic has some unmatched flame (see below), and 57 pickups. Also my truss cover says "classic".

Concerns:
I don't see any wings.
The script logo width doesn't have variable thickness.

TBH........Looks like a possible Chibson.

For the price it's a good deal......but I would need better pics before pulling the trigger.

Last edited:

C-4

It might be the angle at which the picture of the cutaway was taken from the front, but the cutaway at that angle doesn't look like a USA built Gibson. It looks like an Epiphone cutaway to me.

Also, and this may be shading, and nothing else, but the heel of the neck appears to be two pieces, not one piece, as xkcdfan also mentioned.

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
They did make classic plus models but the guitar in question has iffy tells. Just get pix of the truss rod and control cavity.

Stev0Griffin

Trendsetter
That’s fake.

There’s a cap at the heel. Gibson doesn’t do it.
The serial number is impressed with ink. Gibson doesn’t do that.

Also, the body shape is wrong, as is the headstock.

It looks like it’s been upgraded, but it’s still a POS fake.

JDaniels

Thanks for all your help fellas. I know a lot of the major tells of a fake, but I’ve definitely learned some things. I don’t think it’s worth my time.

Luke V

Silver Supporting Member
That looks like a shadow on the neck heel to me. They did make flame top Classics though. I had one when they first came out. I just couldn't get past that skinny neck, but the guitar was a looker. I'll try to find some pics. It had no burst, just a butterscotch color.

B Money

I'm leaning 'Chibson' on this one also. Primarily due to the back pic, it just looks sketchy to me. It doesn't have any of the blatant tells of fake (scarfed on headstock, large bridge studs) but the finish looks like poly to me, and that 2 piece heel is all wrong.

IanRubbish

Gold Supporting Member
I have a les paul classic plus from 2000, they came stock with ceramic hot

The plus has the flame tops. It looks pretty right since it has the snot green inlays many people hate. Mine is a little less snot green.

danelectro

Silver Supporting Member
Back in the 1990's, a lot of Classics were flamey. Here's a 1992 that I once owned (the plaintop to the left is a 1990 Classic):

Here are photos of more 1990's Classics that I saved while I was shopping around for a flame top Classic back in the early 2000's:

1992 (Clownburst finish, but a nice top)

1992 (Repainted by Tom Murphy)

1996 (Killer top)

1995 (another Killer top)

Trending Topics